Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scent Control

fastfreddy

Seems like everytime this year if a deer gets downwind of me i'm busted! I shower before every hunt (no soap obviously)...I washed all my clothes at the beginning of the season with scent away products and hung outside to dry and during the season I keep all my clothes/boots in a plastic tote filled with leaves that sits outside with the lid on to keep any rain or unwanted scents out....Is there something I'm missing here or what is everybody else doing that might help me out!

Thanks,

FF

VERY vey hard if not impossible to beat their nose. Impossible for me. You are doing everything correct. I try to have a bluff, deep ditch etc downwind of me to prevent them from getting behind me. Hanging higher helps as does a clean diet.

Still, I have never agreed with anybody who says they can always beat their nose. Find a guy who has shot a few big mature bucks, and he nearly always watches the wind.

One of the best info I ever received was, "Hunt stands that are almost WRONG for you, and almost RIGHT for the deer. Do that, and you'll see more big bucks."

Natural scent control

Natural scent control take a spray bottle on your hunt next time find some standing water in the field you are hunting get it in the bottle and find some deer droppings put some in the bottle and shake it up real good and spray away you can put fresh dirt from your hunting spot in to. Spray it all over you and your stand mist it in the air I try it this year and had two big shouters under my stand but got buck fever I have to work on that!! If a friend has his buck on the ground cut the scent glands off the inside of the buck hind leg. The cost is zero and it all Natural scent good luck and the rut is on. Get in your stands seeing buck all day long

Sounds like you're doing things right to me. I go overboard most likely by washing my stuff about every 2nd outing. My regimen:

-scent free soap, shampoo and deoderant with shower
-clothes washed in scent free detergent and hung outside
-rubber boots with pant legs tucked in
-Scent-A-Way spray right before walking to stand
-typical stand height = 25 ft

I really think a well done scent control plan works and works well. Even at that, we can and WILL get busted by certain deer at the very least. Some just seem to have a super sensitive nose by comparison and that pretty much seems to include certain owly does and almost ALL mature bucks in my experience. My feeling is that when they get exactly perfect in our windstream, we're screwed but all the scent control measures may help to lessen the wofting out of our scent in marginal wind situations where they're not quite close enough to be in your exact line but close enough that they probably would pick you up without some efforts having been made to control scent.

Top Bottom