Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scent Elimination Sprays

For those of you who use scent elimination sprays (scent killer, scent away, dead down wind, etc), how often do you spray your clothes? I'm in the habit of spraying down every layer well for every sit, and on all-day sits I try to spray at least the top layer again about mid hunt (if I remember to take the bottle). I usually do this day after day but am wondering if I am just wasting the spray and $. I know scent killer, which I primarily use, says one application is good for multiple (can't remember how many) days. Of course if you sweat alot on a hunt, then washing the clothes and applying more spray would be needed. Just wondered what you guys thought about how often to apply. Thanks!

I only spray my boots just to help cover my trail going in, but that's it. I make my own spray too. $12 for a small bottle of scent killer is ridiculous.

I spray every sit head to toe. And mid hunt for all day sits also. A gallon jug usually lasts me all season. But then again I can only get out for about 20-30 sits every year. It is pricey, but then again so is everything else we do for bowhunting.

I keep all of my hunting clothes in a plastic tub with Scent Killer wafers. I will not put on my hunting clothes until i get out of the truck. I still pray down head to toe after i put my clothes on. The spray is kind of expensive but its worth the peace of mind...

I spray down every time I go out. Dress in the field, leave my clothes in a big tote and spray with the scent elimination product that I happen to have on hand at the time. This year I will be using Carbon Synergy and from a couple of "tests" I did at home, that stuff is awesome!

I spray down every time I go out. Dress in the field, leave my clothes in a big tote and spray with the scent elimination product that I happen to have on hand at the time. This year I will be using Carbon Synergy and from a couple of "tests" I did at home, that stuff is awesome!

What were these "tests"?

I only spray my boots just to help cover my trail going in, but that's it. I make my own spray too. $12 for a small bottle of scent killer is ridiculous.

X2 on making your own scent...pretty simple actually...I have mine hung in an old shed atm. Throw some pine needles in them and your good. I honestly don't think there is anything that will work 100 percent.

I fill up a mesh decoy bag with oak leaves and then put my clothes in there. I hang it outside where it wont get wet. This works very well. Word of caution...don't do this and then zip up in a scent free bag. The leaves will bring moisture to the clothes and having that in a zipped up bag is no good, thus the use of a mesh decoy bag.

Any tips on making said scent?

Gallon of distilled water, tablespoon of baking soda, 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, 1 tablespoon of borax, 1 tablespoon of scent free soap. Stir up and let sit for a few days in the fridge, should be good to go.

I only spray my boots, clothes get washed with baking soda and borax at the beginning of the season, and that's usually it unless I roll in the mud by accident. I wash my skivvys and socks after every 2 or 3 hunts just because of the swass smell. Air dry everything outside. Play the wind and don't waste your money.

I spray down every time I head out but that being said u can really use up your scent killer. LYON had brought up carbon synergy, I had received a bag of free products from them last year with everything from carbon mixing powder to hair and body wash and powdered laundry detergent. To be completely honest the product blew my damn mind!!! Best product I've ever used but since it was free I'm not sure on the price of the product and haven't seen it in the local stores into area. All I can tell ya is try it I'm sure u won't be disappointed

I use dead down wind. I like it enough I suppose. Never really been busted on scent I dont think. Just stupid mistakes (moving when I shouldnt of mostly). Play the wind right and I dont think you can go wrong.

I use dead down wind. I like it enough I suppose. Never really been busted on scent I dont think. Just stupid mistakes (moving when I shouldnt of mostly). Play the wind right and I dont think you can go wrong.

Use a smoker and the wind is not an issue

Gallon of distilled water, tablespoon of baking soda, 2 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide, 1 tablespoon of borax, 1 tablespoon of scent free soap. Stir up and let sit for a few days in the fridge, should be good to go.

I only spray my boots, clothes get washed with baking soda and borax at the beginning of the season, and that's usually it unless I roll in the mud by accident. I wash my skivvys and socks after every 2 or 3 hunts just because of the swass smell. Air dry everything outside. Play the wind and don't waste your money.

Thanks for the homebrew recipe! I've always stored boxes of baking soda in my storage totes to help absorb odors but they always seem to have a certain musky smell to them.

I've never really been a believer in cover scents but I this year I placed a bunch of green/brown walnuts in my totes and the scent really soaks into the clothes. For some reason even after washing in baking soda and scent free detergent my clothes retain a certain musky odor and the walnut smell eases my mind a bit, plus ther are quite a few walnuts where I hunt.

I do agree that most of the time when I get busted it's because I moved when I shouldn't have and not because of scent. But I've always wondered if there were deer downwind that didn't come within my sight because they smelled something they didn't like.

Top Bottom