Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SCENTS???

Jethro

Last weekend i hung a stand by a very promising scrape & rub line that i discovered. There were six scapes and three rubs, all fresh. The scrapes and rubs are along a grass strip between a corn field and the timber. From my stand i can see three of the six scapes and two of the three rubs. My question is do you think i should apply some scents to these scapes or should i wait until the rut kicks in more? Also should i apply doe urine, buck urine or both? I have seen this buck working this area but only at night. He is a very nice 8 point. I would guess him around 140 class. Any suggestions would help. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Last night I pulled a drag rag with doe in estrus on it just to see what would happen. About 6:45 pm a nice 8 point walked in front of my stand and when he crossed the sent trail his nose went down and he followed it away from my stand. Then two does crossed it without incident. So, I will be laying the trail from now until I harvest mr. big or the end of the season. Good hunting. Tom

Agree with John,If the buck is keeping them active just sit back and watch,they have the very best scent in them natural and real. Just hope that he runs the line during daytime and not always night.Remember if there is cover a little downwind of them he may use this to scent check them.

woods

I would suggest being careful in messing with scapes that are active. While "doctoring" the scapes with scent, you are liable to leave your own scent in the area causing the buck to abandon the scrape line. If the scrapes are active I think I would just leave them alone and resist the temptation to walk up close to inspect them for tracks, etc.

Top Bottom