Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scents

lefty79

I have tried numerous different deer scents and have had no luck with any of them im starting to think they are all just gimicks but am still being optimistic so im going to give select golden estrous a try again i used it four years ago and had a few deer come in but they seemed skittish and walked away without getting a shot. Anyone else had this happen? What kind of lure do you all use or recomend i know set up and location and the laws of nature play into it but i really have started to think the stuff dont work. Any insite and suggestions would be greatly appriciated.

Last edited:
My 2 cents on this subject is timing is everything when using scent lures; and with estrous scent, don't overdo it. May I suggest finding a brand which comes in paste form. Just a little dab'll do ya. Never wear it or put it higher than the height of an old wooden fencepost. Presuming you're doing everything else right, scent lures can work very well.:way:

My 2 cents on this subject is timing is everything when using scent lures; and with estrous scent, don't overdo it. May I suggest finding a brand which comes in paste form. Just a little dab'll do ya. Never wear it or put it higher than the height of an old wooden fencepost. Presuming you're doing everything else right, scent lures can work very well.:way:

X2...:way: Also, If your deer urine turns black.. It's no good... You want it to have a clear appearance..

If you can afford the $$ Price.... Mrs. Doe Pees buck lures out of Salem, Iowa is supposed to be pretty good..

Last edited:
The best scent is no scent at all IMO.

Has anyone tried that new Rublime Slime yet? That should bring em in! ;)

Too many people using commercial scents, none is best but I must say Code Blue has worked for me in the past......

Vs1 labs deer herd in a stick worked well last year for me mostly does and small bucks would come in but u know what they say where there r does there will be bucks

I've used Code Blue (estrus gel), Code Red (doe pee, buck pee liquid), Tinks (69, Trophy Buck, Magnetics liquids, All Season smokin stix), Hunter Specialties Premium (doe pee, estrus, buck pee liquids), Wildlife Research (Golden Estrus and Trails End Trophy Leaf, and Trails End liquid). Also have used Tinks Power Scrape and HS Lickin Stick for mock scrapes. Probably others, but can't remember. Have had a few successes, by which I mean I saw the deer actually smell where I had put the scent. Once was with the Tinks 69 squirted on the ground on a trail, which was a little spike buck. The other time was one of the liquids on a scent wick hung over a trail where I wanted to stop deer in a shooting lane. I hung it so a mature buck would run into it, but only had a small buck sniff it. I've seen evidence of the mock scrapes with the Power Scrape get used a few times, but not a lot. Not sure if the scents have brought any closer without smelling the exact spot I placed it in, but have had many walk right by those spots and not have any reaction to it at all. Never had a scent (other than me probably) spook a deer tho.

Top Bottom