Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

scope or open sights......?

jaybeee

Just curious, I've been huntin deer in Iowa since 1976 , all I know is open sights w/smoothbore rifle 12ga. , until 2 days ago.......I bought a tasco shotgun scope, and went and sighted it in .......man was I impressed with the grouping @ 75 yds. I've never felt this confident in my shooting and being able to place my slug right where i want it. I shoot rem. sluggers 2 3/4" {foster-type} slugs. Even @75yds they are shootin about 3" high. What are you GUYS shootin?

I shoot Remington's copper saboted slugs, the high dollar ones. I just started using them last year when I got my rifled slug barrel (which I shoot open sights). They shoot a good grouping a 50 yards, but there way to exspensive to shoot, 9 dollars for a box of 5!!! Thats pretty steep, and the only shots I get are when they are running, so I can't hit em'. So I've decided to go back to good old lead!
Good huntin'

!

[This message has been edited by jason (edited 11-29-2001).]

JAYBEE,
I would have to say open sights for deer on the move, scope for stand hunting.
I used open sights from 1984 to 1997 then went to stand hunting and scope-rifled barrel.
The scope works great.

I shoot a Mossberg Trophy Slugster 12 ga.,with a simmons scope, it'll be my first year using a 12 ga., i've used a 16 gauge with scope, and a rifled barrel, it was very accurate for the hunting i've been doing 2nd shotgun season, really good for a tree stand, really accurate.

I agree with BOWDUDE, for deer on the move I would take open sights anyday. I shot a buck last year at 130 yds wih open sights. I can't shoot a group to save my life, but I bag the deer so I guess that is all that counts. Have fun this weekend and stay safe!

One of my hunting brotheren shots an Ithaca Deer Slayer which is set up to shoot with either open sites or a scope. That thing is awesome. I have been trying to buy it from him but since he won't let me (BASTARD) I went and bought a rifled slug barrel with open sites.

I suck with a scope.

LOVE the pattern we did with Federal Premium copper sabots. 3 inch.

Use a scope. There is not a time (exept maybe for dangerous game charging) that a scope will not help you shoot better than open sights. You just have to get used to finding your target with it quick. I'm curious why do you think you shoot better with open sights?

Shootin' a plain Jane Mossberg 500 smoothbore with open sites. Nothing fancy.

REMINGTON 870,25+YEARS OLD, HASTINGS CANTILEVER BARREL TOPPED WITH A NIKON 3-9X40 BUCKMASTER--GROUPING LIGHTFEILD SLUGS AT 100 YARDS IN ABOUT 1.5 INCHES----3 INCH GROUPS AT 150 YARDS HIS YEAR... BET I'LL STILL BE THE FIRST TO MISS A 20 TARD SHOT? SHOOT STRAIGHT ALL M350 OUT..OHH ITS A 20 GAUGE.

I've hunted with both open sights and a scope. Since most of our deer are taken on drives, I didn't like the scope at all.

About 5 years ago I switched over to a red-dot sight w/ no magnification. It is the ultimate shotgunning system. Both eyes open, full field of view, bright red dot where the slug will go. It's on a Mossberg 500A w/ fully rifled barrel. I shoot the fosters-type rifled slugs and get pretty decent accuracy.

Good luck to everyone.

[This message has been edited by Gianni (edited 12-01-2001).]

M350 I would love to see someone that could put a group of slugs with in 3inches at 150 yards. I think that it would be some pretty good shooting. If this is true can I have your autograph???

Top Bottom