Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Score?

shrew

Regardless of the score, if he comes by me I will be trying to shoot him, but what do you think he will score?
1944Picture_3-med.jpg

1944Picture_2-med.jpg

1944Picture-med.jpg

1944DSC00075-med.JPG

1944DSC00074-med.JPG

From the side he sure looks like a 150 but I don't think he has the width or the mass to quite break the 150 mark. Close though, IMHO.

I'll go mid 140's, looks good from the side, not very wide but people forget spread is just air and 4" of spread can be made up easily with tine length.

Talk about a clean rack, he'd look really good on the wall. The two sides look almost identical!

Another question on him if any of you have the time...what is the breakdown you give him for width, mass, beam length and tine length to arrive at that score? Also, any stab on the age? I usually don't get pictures of deer like this so it's hard for me to judge. Thanks a lot. Hopefully I'll post the real life measurements later this fall!! It's a deer from north central WI without a lot of agriculture.

I didn't try break down the mass, spread etc. I just looked at him and thought to myself that he looked like a 140 something deer, I could be 10" off.I just think I'm fairly accurate when eyeballing something. Usually.
crazy.gif

I used to do mental calculations in my mind when I would look at a deer, even through a spotting scope or on standing out in the field in front of my stand or whatever. I would estimate tine length and beam length, then double it and add the spread and 20% for mass for a pretty close guess. If it was a real heavy rack I might add a couple inches and if it was a skinny rack subtract a couple inches after adding the 20% for mass.

After a few years of doing this, I mostly started just guessing them as I saw them and then adding them up. Turns out my first impression guess was usually pretty close to my addition.

The buck in the pic has average mass, average tine length and a small spread (probably 15 inches) but has long main beams. Without doing any addition, I would say he is around 150 gross and pretty darn symetrical so he'll net between 145 and 150. As far as age goes, IMO he is probably 3.5.

Width - 15
Beams - 23 x 2
Brows - 3.5 x 2
G-2 - 9 x 2
G-3 - 8 x 2
G-4 - 5.5 x 2
Mass - 16.25 per side

Total - 145.5

These are obviously perfect matches but I think that supports the basis for many of the estimates stated above although that could very easily be off 5-10 inches.

I know it is a fine looking buck and if your hunting in high pressured areas like I am I would let her fly !!! If you have more control over your area, you might have a special looking 4.5 year old next season. Good luck and please keep us all posted on the progress.

Thanks for the photo.

Real nice buck. I'd guess him 145"-150", and 3-4 yrs old. No special formula here for score, just a bit of experience with bucks in that 130-145 range and he has that look. Cant see the brows at all so that could change things a little. Thats a shooter in my book, good luck with him.

It hard to see the brows. But I believe those are 64-69" antlers all day long. He should gross around 150". An easy way field judge a buck and be pretty close on the net score is too add up the bucks smallest tines.
Ex 8pt
L-G1 3
G2 8
G37

R-G1 4
G2 7
g35

You would add up the short tines left G1 3 + right g2 7 + right g3 5
total score 15". This buck would net in the 110" range.

Anything over 22 should make Pope and Young. Over 26 should make 140. Over 30 should be 160. And anything over 33 you are watching a Boooner.

This scoring system is pretty good for net score. There are some variable's that will affect score such as extreme mass and main beam length. As a general rule is works very well.

I heard about some kind of software that lets you score deer from camera pictures. the name was something like trophyscore or trophyscoring. I have not had a chance to try it yet.

Here's the last few pictures I have of this buck. He was harvested by the neighbor November 12th. I talked to him and he gave me a copy of the measurements that his taxidermist took. Final net score was 160 5/8" I believe. He definitely looks bigger in the field photo. Only had 3" of deductions, 16 2/8" spread, 22+" beams, both g-2's and one of the g-3's over 10", and both g-4's over 7". All mass measurements were between 4 1/2" and 5 1/2".

1944big_10_slight_angle-med.JPG

1944big_10_rear-med.JPG

1944big_10_front-med.JPG

1944bob_reichelt_with_my_buck-med.JPG

[ QUOTE ]
Nice facemask...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the new "White-out" snow camo facemask if I'm not mistaken?
grin.gif
Great buck! Those cam pics don't do him justice!

Top Bottom