Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scoring Question

For anybody that's up on measuring antlers...I'm tinkering with trying to score a pretty impressive 9 point buck which was found dead and is still on the skull.

Following the instructions as best as I can, I come up with: right antler 83 3/8 and left antler as 78 5/8. Now, my question concerns the "spread credit".

The right antler has 4 points, the left antler 5, with a tip-to tip of 13 6/8 and greatest spread at 12 6/8. The inside spread of main beams is 21 6/8.

Here's my question, what does it mean when the instructions say "spead credit may equal but not exceed longer antler"?

Thanks for any help from any folks out there more experienced at this than me. Just thought I'd sit down and actually try to measure one!

MO
smile.gif

Thanks a bunch, that's pretty easy. Here's what I came up with...

171 6/8 gross and 159 3/8 net as a 9 point.

The head was found in a guy's barn and he let me "borrow" it to try to score it. I'll take a couple of digital pix of it and try to post it.

Thanks again.

MO

[ QUOTE ]
If the spread is greater than the longest beam, that amount is a deduction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, Boone & Crockett's scorer's manual says: "Enter this measurement again (the inside spread) as the Spread Credit if it is less than or equal to the length of the longer main beam; if greater, enter the longer main beam length for Spread Credit."

No deducting involved on Spread Credit. It's rare to have a spread credit longer that the main beam, but I suppose it happens occasionally.

This really happens a lot with Mule Deer, but not so much for whitetails.

I measure a lot of mulies that have 30" + inside spread, but only 23-25" main beams... so the actual spread credit is the length of the longest main beam. Hurts a mulies score big time.
frown.gif

Top Bottom