Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

scout guard

bn2hunt

I am going to buy a new trail cam shortly and I have it narrowed down to the scout guard 550 and the Moultrie I40. I am leaning to the scout guard but wanted to make sure nobody has had any problems they haven't been able to get resolved.

Also where are you buying them from?

I bought mine from BeeBusyOutdoors.com. You can find the link on huntingcamonline. I've got three SG's now and haven't had a problem with any. All are still running on the original batteries after well over 1000 pics apiece.

My decision came down to the SG 550 and the I40 also. I went with the SG because of trigger speed and size.

I bought 2 Scoutguards over at Trailcampro because they had a ton of reviews on the cameras. The camera is better than all the Stealth Cams and Wildviews BY FAR! I also really liked the trailcampro guys. I had some questions on recovery time and they set me up perfectly

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bn2Hunt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am going to buy a new trail cam shortly and I have it narrowed down to the scout guard 550 and the Moultrie I40. </div></div>

A hunting buddy of mine bought an I60 and a Scoutgaurd this year. He's said on multiple occasions that the Scoutgaurd is the ticket. I'm now thinking about picking one up for next year. Hardly worth building a homebrew anymore for what you can pick these things up for.

I have 2 and like them BUT the deer are spooked by them, especially at night. On video mode after dark most of the deer took off running from it and my brother watched 2 spook after getting their picture taken during daylight. I've been meaning to ask others if they have had an issue with them spooking deer but haven't gotten around to it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MN Slick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have 2 and like them BUT the deer are spooked by them, especially at night. On video mode after dark most of the deer took off running from it and my brother watched 2 spook after getting their picture taken during daylight. I've been meaning to ask others if they have had an issue with them spooking deer but haven't gotten around to it. </div></div>

This is one of the main reasons I switched from the moultries to the scoutguards. When using the moultries the shutter makes a very distinct noise. Every picture I would get the deer would be looking at the cam.

The scoutguards make no noise at all. The red glow from the IR's is very small also. This could be a scent issue or you have it so the red glow is right in their face. Just guessing because we very very seldom have deer looking at the camera.

As JJohnson said no noise at all and scent was not the problem.

J, how high do you hang it? As you mentioned maybe we need to change the height so it's not directly in their line of sight. Maybe hanging it higher and angling it down ward would help. Have you used yours on video mode?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skully</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How are the SG 550's holding up in the cold guys? </div></div>

So far they have held up just fine. Mine are still on the original batteries and have taken thousands of pics since I put them out in august. I haven't checked them in the last 10 days though. The battery life seems to be at least 1.5 times as long as my moultrie I-40 and I-60.

As far as comparing the scout gaurd vs the I-40, my opinion goes something like this

The scout gaurds have longer battery life and much quicker trigger speed and can be hung almost anywhere because of their small size.
However, the moultrie I-40 will capture images farther out while in infrared mode because it has many more LED's. So for a food plot camera I almost like using my moultries (2007 model) better as long as I have a good spot to hang them. But as far as a true "trail" cam the scout gaurds are hands down my favorite.

I have also said this before but once again I would not reccommend anyone to buy the 2008 I-40. I had a 2007 model replaced for a 2008 because of a malfunction and it is pretty much junk, very slow, and I have no use for it except for a food plot camera and still its performance is marginal at best.

This is all good info fellas. Anybody who has one, please fill us in more on all the features such as the remote work for more than one unit or do you have to use the remote that comes with each camera (if I had 10 cameras, would one remote work for all 10 or would I have to carry around 10 different remotes???)

Another thing for the members, could you all post individual pictures at different ranges day and night so we can see the quality of the images taken. There have been several other posts on the matter, I was just wanting to see more.

Reason for all the questions, I have not been sold on any commercial units but this one has promise. If ok with vman and the admin, this may be a camera we may like to promote on the site...

What kind of distance can you get with the SG and still have a good pic? What does a homebrew generally cost?

Shredder has a good idea picture would be great.

Ok, the flash on my Moultrie D40 burnt out after two years and thousands of pics. I'm not getting it fixed (Moultrie said I'd be better off buying a new one) and I thought I'd check into the Scout Guards everyone is talking about.

Reading about the SG550 at Chasingame, I was stunned to read that this camera is NOT weather proof. What is up with that????? Really threw a bucket of cold water on my entusiasm! I bet people are getting away with not protecting their cameras but would guess it voids warranty.

Comments?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was stunned to read that this camera is NOT weather proof </div></div>

Boy..that really blows my mind too! Very strange but obviously they are pretty waterproof because no one is having problems with them in that regard.

I like this:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">03-28-2008 update: Well as of yesterday this cam finally died from lack of battery. The total 5120 pictures and 175 movies were recorded during this period.

This is far past what we expected. Should this cam be deployed to a trail situation with 20 to 30 pictures a day it might last an extreme length of time. This will have to be one of our next tests. So far we are very happy with the performance of this camera.
</div></div>

They also came up with several "water proofing" ideas that would be very inexpensive and some great security options.

Scout Guard Camera Review Page

ScoutGuard 550.com

That thing is basically a "spy camera" it appears, that has been adapted to use as a trail cam, perhaps the reason it wasn't originally made to be water proof?

Other then that is sure sounds like a great little cam! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was stunned to read that this camera is NOT weather proof </div></div>

You scared the crap out of me when I read this! Its been raining on my cameras off and on the last 2 weeks and I hadn't checked it. I called the guys I bought the camera from ( trailcampro ) and asked them what the heck!?! He told me not to worry. They are not waterproof - no trail camera is- but that the camera is weather proof. For whatever reason (probably the chinese translation he said) the manual says it is not but that there is nothing to worry about.

That made me feel better, but I still went to check on the camera and it was fine. No moisture at all. I think I'm going to reward myself with another Scoutguard and I'm also thinking about getting a Leaf River now. Merry Christmas to myself. The IR5 (or maybe the IR7?) looks to be affordable and the video looks stinking good! Here is the review review I'm reading. The video is halfway down, you have to hit the link.

The trailcampro tests are kind of interesting too...

Trail Cam tests

It's good to hear about the water proofing on the Scoutguards...sheesh, that made no sense! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

From the link provided above:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">05-23-2008 Scoutguard camera weather protection: Today while scanning a new operators manual from HCO’s Scoutguard camera. The back of this booklet has in dark letters. “The camera is not weatherproof, please protect your camera properly for outdoor use.”</div></div>

I still wonder if this is a "warranty out" for the manufacturer, but if nobody is having weather problems, then it is non-issue.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still wonder if this is a "warranty out" for the manufacturer </div></div>

Probably. You know how that stuff goes...

I was digging around on their website and also found this. It is like a guide to finding which trail camera you should have. I ended up with the Leaf River IR5. Reaffirms what I want for Christmas. Haha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JNRBRONC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">From the link provided above:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">05-23-2008 Scoutguard camera weather protection: Today while scanning a new operators manual from HCO’s Scoutguard camera. The back of this booklet has in dark letters. “The camera is not weatherproof, please protect your camera properly for outdoor use.”</div></div>

I still wonder if this is a "warranty out" for the manufacturer, but if nobody is having weather problems, then it is non-issue. </div></div>

Sounds like the manufacturer is wiping his hands of any weather problems down the road. Buy one let it sit in water all night and let me know if it leaks. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
If not I might pick one up myself next year to go with the collection.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: risto</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Buy one let it sit in water all night and let me know if it leaks. </div></div>

What was your PayPal password again???? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Top Bottom