Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

scout guard

I looked at a couple of web pages about the 550. I'm still not clear if the flash is IR or if there are two different models, plain old 550 and 550 IR.

I like the 6 volt external jack. In high density areas (coons 'possums squirrels and cats) a small lead acid battery and a 2 gig card would last quite awhile. I think the savings on batteries would pay for itself compared to my D40.

I'd still like to see side by side comparisons of the SG and other known products.

The 'Bonker

Bonker the camera's are all IR.

I've spoken to them(scoutguard) a few times about these cams and they have been very helpful and easy to work with. I will call and ask about the weather deal. Although I don't think anyone should have any problems unless the camera was submerged in water or something.

And yes 1 remote will control all of your cameras. The setup on the remote is very simple.

I personaly did have one problem with a couple of my cams. My day pics were fine but at night my IR would not light up. I took the cameras to my house and they worked fine. Turned out I was using some CHEAP CHEAP batteries I get bulk and they were complete junk. Once we put different batteries in the camera's worked great.

I recently started to deal these camera's and accessories so if you have any questions just pm me and I will answer them all the best I can.

A later update sounds a little better from Anthony at Chasingame:

06-22-2008 update: We decided to test one of the new camo models and just see what happens when it gets wet. This camera had already gone through a pretty good afternoon storm and I pulled it and shot it with the hose and checked it. There was no water under the lid. I then hung it on a tree (see side bar) and let the hose run over it for a good while. During this time I was pretty busy trying to get my Canon G-9 into Macro for some close shots of the interior. Things finally settled down and I Shut the water off and toweled the outside off and then slid the bottom off. There was no water in the cam. It would take a dunking to push the water up into the cam. I set the cam in the hot sun for an hour to see if the inside of the lens would fog. It did not cloud up at all. A trip to the frig was negative also. Some of these security boxes folks are building for this cam that have a cavity to set the cam down into that does not have drainage could cause a problem if the cam was setting in some captured water in the bottom of the security box. Folks should rest a little more easy about the water tightness of this cam.

Also a good link to HCO's info about it. They go so far as to advertise it as weather and rain/moisture proof and they used Anthony and Bill's test info it appears.

HCO Rainproof Page

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And yes 1 remote will control all of your cameras. The setup on the remote is very simple.
</div></div>

I haven't read the instructions on these things yet...is the remote how you set them up/program them?

I assume one must buy a remote on top of the price of a cam then?

Sure looks the "water proof" thing is a non issue... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

My mom had me order one for my step father for Christmas. It looks like a heck of a unit but my wife won't let me test it out before we give it to him. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif Maybe Santa will bring me one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe Santa will bring me one. </div></div>

Don't you have to be a good boy first?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I just retrieved these off of my Scout Guard this morning after sitting on a stand for a few hours. I have it set to take 3 photos, and it started on the second set before the buck took off.

IM000208.jpg
[/img]

IM000209.jpg
[/img]

IM000210.jpg

I didn't post the photo that shows him trotting off. I think the LED's spooked him. I have a photo of another buck where it's pretty clear he got spooked by the LED's on the infrared.

I love this camera so far. Mine has been out in all kinds of weather with no problems. I bought a small mounting frame with the Python cable, which secures it pretty well to the tree. I am going to have to mount the camera higher and point it down as I do think the LED's spook the deer.

The trigger speed on this camera is pretty good. I had it set real close to a trail, actually too close, and it still got pictures of deer. I missed some, but it got more than it missed. The day photos are great. I haven't messed with the video yet. I will here shortly.

For the price, I don't think you can go wrong with this rig.

BTW, I have hunted this area hard, and have never seen this drop tine. I would like to have him walk in front of me.

Anyone know the difference between the DLC Covert camera and the Scoutguard SG550? I heard that the DLC is a 'tweaked' Scoutguard..not sure if thats true. Obviously its basically the same cam, but the DLC daytime pics appear a bit clearer with better color?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe Santa will bring me one. </div></div>

Don't you have to be a good boy first?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

</div></div>

DOHHHHH!!! I forgot about that! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif As cold as its been a lump of coal will seem ok I guess. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Top Bottom