Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Scramble time

Daver

PMA Member
I had 4 plots of milo planted right around Memorial Day and 2 of them are looking pretty good...but two of them are looking pretty skimpy. In the two bad plots, germination was spotty and for the most part the fields are not going to produce from what I can tell. I am really puzzled as to why two plots came out looking really good and two are far below that.

At any rate, I really wanted a lot of milo this year to continue building habitat for the growing quail population I have. (I heard quail whistling and saw them all over the place over the past couple of days.)

What can I plant QUICK that will replace my failed milo plots?

Replant milo maybe, I have planted milo in early July with tremendous success. Bob's suggestion of buckwheat would be a great choice as well.

Replant milo maybe, I have planted milo in early July with tremendous success. Bob's suggestion of buckwheat would be a great choice as well.

Thanks for the ideas guys. I had truly not considered buckwheat. I may just plant a small plot of that here sometime soon to get some experience with it.

But for now, the plan is to replant the failed milo areas here pretty soon right back to milo. It will be resprayed, re-tilled and re-fertilized too. We'll see what happens, it is a little late, but still feasible to get a fair milo crop out of it.

If you sprayed your plot with Dual II Magnum or Parallel before planting and it got real wet right after planting, it may have caused that injury to your sorghum. I had a few client's plots look like what you described in areas that were very wet right after planting. 90% of those plots recovered but I did have to go spot in a few bad areas with my drill. I would get that milo in quick! Time is getting short.......

If you sprayed your plot with Dual II Magnum or Parallel before planting and it got real wet right after planting, it may have caused that injury to your sorghum. I had a few client's plots look like what you described in areas that were very wet right after planting. 90% of those plots recovered but I did have to go spot in a few bad areas with my drill. I would get that milo in quick! Time is getting short.......

The only thing sprayed on the bad milo plots was gly, prior to planting. I had Golden Furrow custom spray for me and they had it nuked pretty good. Then granular fertilizer was broadcast and tilled in and then the milo drilled in.

All 4 plots are within 300 yards of each other and oddly, one of the 2 good looking plots is on the worst soil. Go figure.

I am still puzzled over what happened, but my best guess right now is that there was just enough rain following planting to crust up the soil just enough in some areas to stunt the new plants.

Yeah could be a combo of different soil types (clay crusting over is mark of death to sorghum that has not emerged yet) and the lack of heat that Hardwood mentioned. A lot of my sorghum plots have been slow this year too and I got them all in May 16th. They are off to the races now though.

Egyptian wheat can still do well if planted ASAP (yes, we're at the bare bones end for that too). I've noticed huge variances of sorghum/milo success on soil types. One farm I have, I planted 3 sections same day, all the same way. One was so spotty and crappy it was unreal, other side of the farm got 10, maybe 12' tall and as robust as you can get. I can explain differences & why but it's crazy the difference in some soils with that plant type in particular.

Top Bottom