Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SD Black Hills Hunt Help

Me and couple buddies looking to do a SD Black Hills turkey hunt this spring and was hoping someone could give advise on where or who to hunt with. We'd like to stay in the northern part of the hills near Sturgis but its not a must. We're open for any suggestions as to outfitters or do it yourself but would like to have contacts on where to start looking for birds because we don't have a couple days to give up for scouting. This will be like a Friday-Monday hunt. If anyone has had any experiences in SD I'd like to hear them good or bad.
Thanks for any and all help

South central SD might be better than the Black Hills, both are good, lots of advice online

My family lives out there so I've done a ton of hunting in the hills. Its a waist of money completely to pay an outfitter. Public birds are plentiful ! Anywhere you find a trout stream mixed in the hills is a good place to start looking! The merriams are some gobbling fools, which makes for an exciting hunt. Feel free to contact me on here if you have any specific questions.

Couple buddies looked into hunting south Dakota and your not hunting this season unless you have a preference point. 3.times as many non res hunters as tags available based on last yrs results every county that had non res tags had hunters that had at least one point.

Archery tags are guaranteed tags. You dont need points for those.

Correct, however you do need an archery safety course which you can complete the classroom time online however you have to do a field day and there are none available in Iowa before in SD starts. If you've got one already then your golden.

Correct, however you do need an archery safety course which you can complete the classroom time online however you have to do a field day and there are none available in Iowa before in SD starts. If you've got one already then your golden.

That is also correct unless you have ever had a South Dakota big game license before, then you don't have to have that course.

www.haycreekranch.net

Try this place. Both Doug and Jody are originally from NW Iowa. They don’t hunt, but there property butt up to public land. They have wanted me to come out hunting for years just haven’t made the trip yet.

Couple buddies looked into hunting south Dakota and your not hunting this season unless you have a preference point. 3.times as many non res hunters as tags available based on last yrs results every county that had non res tags had hunters that had at least one point.

I believe the OP said they were looking at a Black Hills hunt and that area has unlimited NR tags. Lots of public land. Word on the street from friends in Sturgis is that last years easy winter & decent spring nesting has the turkey population in real good shape. Gotta love those Merriams. Do they ever love to TALK!!!! :way:

That is also correct unless you have ever had a South Dakota big game license before, then you don't have to have that course.

Pretty sure if you have had archery tags for big game in other states, you don't need that archery course. Or is that not right?

I believe the OP said they were looking at a Black Hills hunt and that area has unlimited NR tags. Lots of public land. Word on the street from friends in Sturgis is that last years easy winter & decent spring nesting has the turkey population in real good shape. Gotta love those Merriams. Do they ever love to TALK!!!! :way:

What he said. LOL
Thanks guys

Top Bottom