Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SD Card Format Help - Mac

MO-APE

I just switched our home PC out to a Mac, I typically took all my "dirty" SD cards from the field and reviewed them on our PC then formatted the SD card and was always plug-and-play back in the field with clean cards.

I've tried all the format options on the Mac, but most cameras show "invalid card or locked card". I run various models of Reconyx, Moultrie and Bushnells. They typically work on all cameras if format the card on the Moultries (obviously a very cumbersome and time consuming process).

I would assume that MS-DOS (FAT) is the format to use, but haven't had the best luck yet.

Here are the "format options" on the Mac:
-OS X Extended (Journaled)
-OS X Extended (Case-Sensitive, Journaled)
-MS-DOS (FAT)
-ExFat

Thoughts?

I also had this problem this past season when I switched from pc to MAC..I can't remember the exact format I used, but I used disc utility app on the computer to do it.

I also had this problem this past season when I switched from pc to MAC..I can't remember the exact format I used, but I used disc utility app on the computer to do it.

The key I found is DO NOT erase the images once they are imported. Once you take them back out to the respected trail cam put them back in and erase them through the trail cam to format them to that specific camera. All I use is a Mac and by going to this method not a single problem! Hope this helps....

The key I found is DO NOT erase the images once they are imported. Once you take them back out to the respected trail cam put them back in and erase them through the trail cam to format them to that specific camera. All I use is a Mac and by going to this method not a single problem! Hope this helps....

Yeah, that's about the only way I've found that works. Running so many cameras this can take a lot of time at each camera. I'll post back if I find a workaround! Happy New Year!

I use different trail cams also but after I download my pics to my MacBook, I always erase/format my cards in my small canon camera. I carry that camera with me every time I check cams so I can view pics in the field. Never had a problem

You want to use MS-DOS (FAT) instead of the default which is ExFat.

Before the new software update the default was the MS-DOS (FAT) format, which was correct. But the El Capitan update changed to ExFat, which does not work in Trail Cameras.

I always take my laptop out and download all the pictures, then reformat the cards and put them right back in! Works Great and have never had a problem as long as you us the MS-DOS (FAT) format!

You want to use MS-DOS (FAT) instead of the default which is ExFat. Before the new software update the default was the MS-DOS (FAT) format, which was correct. But the El Capitan update changed to ExFat, which does not work in Trail Cameras. I always take my laptop out and download all the pictures, then reformat the cards and put them right back in! Works Great and have never had a problem as long as you us the MS-DOS (FAT) format!

Thanks, this is working great now!

Top Bottom