Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SD Card question

ShedderKG

Hi guys... having some issues with a lot of my sd cards. The side of the SD card is in the "unlock" position but then I put it in my trail cam and it says the SD card is "locked"

I have about 4 or 5 cards that have done this lately. I'm hoping the cards aren't shot and that I can format them somehow to get them back to working properly but I'm not sure how to do it.

Can anyone give me some feedback on how to fix the problem?

Thanks

I recently ran into a similar problem. Not necessarily saying it was "locked", but the trail cam would take pictures, but then they wouldn't register or show up on the laptop.

After doing some reading, (whether you do this or not) I found out that using another device such as a digital camera to view the pictures on and then delete them on was a "no-no". Each time I would delete the cards on my digital camera after viewing it would format the SD card for the digital camera and NOT for my trail camera.

So, long story short whatever computer you are using to view or save pictures make sure you consistently do this. Don't use another device that takes SD cards to delete the cards. It will "format" the card during the deleting process to THAT device.

Try reformating the card. I always erase and reformat mine because simply dragging the file to the recycle bin does not get rid of all the space the file took up. On a mac it is called disk utility I believe.

Ok. That is good to know.

However, I don't think we are having the same issues.

I bought some Browning trail cameras awhile back and when I put the card into the camera...the camera is telling me that the SD card is locked when it clearly is in the unlocked position.

Ok. That is good to know.

However, I don't think we are having the same issues.

I bought some Browning trail cameras awhile back and when I put the card into the camera...the camera is telling me that the SD card is locked when it clearly is in the unlocked position.

All I run is Browning and I haven't had a single problem.

Skyleralan...huh that's strange!

TSLC...thanks! I will try that when I get home later tonight. I appreciate the help! Let you know if that takes care of the problem.

Skyleralan...huh that's strange!

TSLC...thanks! I will try that when I get home later tonight. I appreciate the help! Let you know if that takes care of the problem.

Which models do you have and what cards have you been using? I have always had good luck with Lexar and Sandisk. I ran into problems with some "cheaper" cards.

I had a similar issue with Bushnell cams a while back. I don't know if it had something to do with swapping cards between cameras or not; but now I labeled two cards and a camera so that those two cards are the only ones used with a particular camera. Knock on wood, but I haven't had any issues since doing this. Don't know if this will fix your problem or not, but something to consider trying.

Don't mean to hijack your thread Kenny, and this may be a stupid question, but do SDHC cards work in your cameras? I noticed they are cheaper than regular SD cards but I'd hate to buy a couple and find out they don't work.

Had a similar problem once. Only owned 1 camera starting out and it was from Wally world. Luckily it happened when I was putting it out the following year. Simple fix, bought a new one and returned the old broke one! But I did try a couple different cards I had and none worked, so I assumed the camera took a crap? Might be your situation also? And yes SDHC cards do work and whatever you hear the pictures are of no lesser quality been running some of the same ones for the 5th year now in 3 different brand cameras, and they work in all of mine.

The cameras are fine...it's definitely the SD cards that are the issue.

I had a card that was working in one of them and took 800 pictures and then I put it in a different camera and it said "card Locked" ... I then put it back into the camera that it took the 800 pictures and it also said "card locked"

I have a variety of cards from over the years and have never had this issue with the cards until I started using these browning trail cameras.

I'm not sure what model it is...it's from last year I believe. Bought them when they were on special on sportsmans guide.

I run bushnell cameras and this year had the exact same issue....SD card locked msg. I thought it was from deleting on a PC then putting back in camera. Tried to format SD card in camera and said it was locked. I happened to switch the camera over to video then back to photo since then it has allowed me to format within the camera and take normal pics. This still continues to happen every time I delete on my PC but as long as I switch to video and then back I have no problems.

I run bushnell cameras and this year had the exact same issue....SD card locked msg. I thought it was from deleting on a PC then putting back in camera. Tried to format SD card in camera and said it was locked. I happened to switch the camera over to video then back to photo since then it has allowed me to format within the camera and take normal pics. This still continues to happen every time I delete on my PC but as long as I switch to video and then back I have no problems.

Thanks man...I will give that a try first and see if that helps!

Top Bottom