Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SE Iowa Question?

aimfirst

I have some acreage in SE Iowa(I grew up hunting in WI) and am new to the honey locust "problem". I have 50/50 timber and grassland. I have many(very many) small locust trees all over the grassland(cattle grazed the property for years before I purchased). The trees are under an inch in diameter. I heard that deer like to eat the pods(there are several large locusts in the timber), but I would really like to clean up my property and stop patching my ATV tires. does anybody know of a herbicide to kill locusts? I used some as a test last year and it worked OK, but I had to mix it with diesel and I don't want to use diesel in the quantity it will take to clean up the small locusts.

Thanks!

we use hatchet and bark sides and put desiel fuel put in it or take and old tire and burn it or brush hog is wut we use.

If they are only an inch in diameter have someone bush hog them off. A good bush hog will cut up to a 3 inch diamete tree without a problem.
beerchug.gif

Is honey locust non native or just invasive. What does it look like? Check out nwtf's show " Get in the game" they talked about the hack and squirt method. Where they hack the tree and squirt a herbicide into the tree cut. I don't remember what the herbicide was called though maybe someone else knows. They said it was easy to do and it went very quick.

Personally I would have someone bushhog the area off if you have tons of little trees. If you have larger trees that you want to get rid of, take an axe and girdle the sides. We use to use Tordon (I think that is what it was...it was quite awhile ago..), and man did it work. It is some serious stuff and a couple tiny squirts really killed trees in the fencelines we were killing. I am not sure if this is the safest stuff to use, I am sure there are alot more brush/tree killing herbicides out there. Do an internet search and maybe talk to someone that works at the County Roads Division and see what they use.

That Tordon was some whicked stuff. I don't think we can even get it anymore. Now at work we use a chemical called Pathway for tree retardent and it seemed to work fairly well last year. Don't know where it can be purchased for the public use.

Tordon is the right stuff. If you cut them in anyway treat the exposed cut with just a little of this stuff. It will keep the small trees from bushing out after having been cut. I've used a lopper to cut small trees and then used tordon on the stump. This was on a very large area on one of my brothers properties. He worked at it for a long time and continues to work to control their growth.

I use Crossbow, a herbacide from Dow. It has 2,4,D and Picloran(?). I use it in my ATV sprayer with 9 foot booms. It will kill brushy plants and most weeds but leaves the grass alone, stunts it at higher levels however. I also use it for spot spraying MFR. You can get it from the co-op and last I knew it was kinda pricey at 60 bucks a gallon. Takes about an once per gallon if memory serves. Now for the really tuff stuff I bought the resticted use Tordon (I have the proper license) and mixed it with 2,4,D, now there is some MFR/thistle/poison ivy killer. The Tordon was just over a hundred a gallon, and ya gotta have the State license. Figure if I can't kill game then I can kill weeds.

Try the Crossbow and a gallon garden sprayer.

The 'Bonker

Just a little note, a private pestside aplicator license is easy to obtain (at least in SD) just get ahold of your local ASCA or NRCS, they should be able to help you find out when and where classes are. They take about three hours and they gave us the answers to the test. You will need the license to buy restricted use pesticide/herbacide. Check out www.heftyseed.com you might find something useful.
Hunt on All4s

Tordon is the stuff to use. We use them on honey locust and osage orange trees and they do not grow back at all. A little pricey but cheaper than patching holes in tires.

Top Bottom