Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Season of change

coyotekiller

I recently turned 50 and due to a bone disease, early muzzy was my last deer hunt. I'm not much for sittin around waiting for them and I can't take the walking anymore. This is depressing to say the least and over the last week I've reflected back on all the years I enjoyed hunting the lands of Iowa. I've learned so many things about nature itself and what it takes to be an ethical hunter. And the memories, that words can never describe. I will still be an avid coyote hunter for as long as I can. You don't have to sit as long for them as they are all shooters, hee hee. If it's alright "I'm gonna anyhow";) I'd like to share some of the better/worse moments.

Many years ago I was squirrel hunting public ground in Guthrie county. I was carrying a marlin mod. 70, no sights, bushnell bullet drop comping scope and 25 rd. ramline mag.. I was walking up on a deep, wide, short wash out behind a culvert and I saw a feral cat take off and thot dang it. Reaching the top of the drop off I saw at least 30 more in the bottom. I shot two and they were off. Trying to make their way to a 4-5 inch wide trail through the tall grass, about 35 yds away. As quickly as I could I redialed the scope to 35 and it was really on. As far as fun goes, this had to be the funnest, spontaneous moment of my hunting carreer. 15 dead, 3 crawl aways. After that, Now knowing they were there, I dispatched many more over the years and haven't seen any for a good long time................ck

I guess it's obvious I hate feral cats. Farthest cat kill, 312 yds with a 30-06. I've posted a couple pics of my favorite rifle ever owned. She is responsible for the long cat shot. Her name is Painless and she is built on a model of 1917 Eddystone made for WW1 in 1918. Barrel shortened to 22 inches. Zeroed at 300. The scope is a simmons whitetail classic 6.5x20x50 AO. I forget the scopes country of origin but much better than todays chinese simmons. Baddest killing machine I've had. For coyotes I load the sierra matchking 150 hp's and this rifle will group under 2 at 300 on a GREAT DAY. She has 17 dog kills over 600 to her credit....................ck

If you upload to photobucket you can turn the settings so that all pictures are automatically resized to most forum specs.

Sorry to hear of the walking problem. :( Hang in there, I look forward to seeing your better or worse moments and I'd be willing to bet you make some new ones to share also!!! :)

Her name is Painless and she is built on a model of 1917 Eddystone made for WW1 in 1918. Barrel shortened to 22 inches. Zeroed at 300.

As a die-hard '06 lover, that right there is a timeless, priceless, classic!! If you ever decide to get rid of it, let me know. I'm very sorry for your condition, but please do keep the stories coming!!!

Me too. Die hard. I'v'e shot a lot of small bores and owned several. I don't think it's cartridge as much as rifle in this case. My army sargeant son in law told me I was crazy for shooting a 93 year old rifle with so much power and I have a rule about not arguing with the ignorant hee hee. My wife is puter genius here so she'll get those pics up today....................ck

I have every intention of adding a Springfield 03 (1912-1917 manufacture) and an 1917 Enfield (b/c of Sgt. York) to my collection and I won't buy one if they don't fire! I like your logic. Can't wait to see the pics and read more stories!

Long time ago A.O Ackley performed field test using the 1903 and the 1917. He loaded hotter n hotter rounds till one blew up. Well the 03 won but it is known that some of the 17's had inferior steel. And many 17's have been turned into 300 winches and larger so strength is pretty good I would say. Except for the safety, bolt release and dogleg bolt handle you wouldn't recognize mine as a 17. The muzzle was recrowned back to original but I'm considering adding a recessed flat crown instead. Like the savages. The most accurate rifles I've shot have been crowned this way. The o6 was originally a brit metric round 7.62x63 b4 we adopted it in 1906. When deciding on a cartridge they required it to be able take out a man,a horse or a vehicle at a 1/4 mile. They chose the 30-06 and live rounds and reloading stuff still outsell most newer rounds.............ck

15178-133_original.jpg
15178-132_original.jpg

She's getting wood refinished when it gets really cold out. And probably a new scope with external turrets. Can't see it but there is room between scope n barrel. The closer you keep you reticle to the bore the better. The unique scope rings are vintage savage. Looking at right side the two holes are for side mount peep sight and front sight is removed for scope use. It would take a heck of a deal to part with this one...........ck

Awesome looking rifle, have always wanted one. Hmmm maybe next purchase will be some sort of rifle.

And probably a new scope with external turrets. Can't see it but there is room between scope n barrel. The closer you keep you reticle to the bore the better. It would take a heck of a deal to part with this one...........ck

That's exactly how my rifles are set up and, while mine aren't as custom as yours is, I have the same sentiments about getting rid of them, especially my '06. I won't hijack the thread anymore, but PM me your personal email and I'll send you pics of my rebuild on it unless I can find the link I posted a year or so ago with pics.

Thankyou gentlemen. I would love to hunt wild hogs in Iowa with it if there are any left. Also a deer hunt to a state allowing rifle bucks. I'll get that pm to you AZ.............ck

Top Bottom