Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Season over December 31

I’d be for it - gut reaction... Sept 15 to January 1….
If u can’t get it done in 3.5 months (or 3 without youth season)…. Maybe just give up on life at that point!!! Or start collecting road kill to eat.

I gotta think on this some more & hear from others. “Giving some things up for the deer” is one general direction we need to steer towards

Last edited:
I would be against decreasing the length of the deer season. Not sure why people would want decreased days afield. All you accomplish by doing that is concentrating the hunters afield on any given day. If you own your own property you are able to decide what is harvested regardless of the number of days. If you hunt public or by permission you should want as many days as possible to be afield to allow you time to be more selective and decrease the number of hunters on the given parcel you are hunting. If you want 10 less days to be afield then hang your equipment up December 31. Let the rest hunt until the 10th. Deer season has been from Oct 1-January 10 for well over 30 years. And the addition of 15 days in September for kids to get after them isn’t hurting our deer herd. Season length or the number of bucks allowed hasn’t stopped Iowa from being the best State for deer hunting. I guarantee if you decrease the length of any seasons that you will do the exact opposite of what you are hoping to accomplish. You think more bucks will survive and age class will improve. I think that belief is very miss guided, what will happen is guys will be less selective and shoot the first decent buck they see because they don’t have as many days afield to get an opportunity. More 1 1/2, 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year olds will be killed because hunters won’t feel that they have the time to wait for a 4 1/2 or older buck. Think about it. If they said bow season will only be 15 days long next year. Would you be more or less selective??? Look at NW Iowa. They drove the population down to where they have buck only for first season shotgun. Guys I know started shooting younger bucks to fill tags. Less deer=less bucks=less opportunity. Only have five days to hunt. Most guys only have two days because they have jobs to be at on Monday. So what do they shoot??? 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year olds mostly. Then second season rolls around and the only thing left are does. So what gets shot to fill tags, does. Population continues to decline or stays depressed. I promise you that the hope of getting out afield one more time before season ends has saved more young bucks than any regulation could ever do. Those that keep saying to leave things alone and quit trying to change what we already have are correct. These threads only stir the pot with proposed changes. It distracts people from the real threats to our deer hunting quality. Which is the potential for crossbows to become legal for regular archery season. Currently, If you want better deer hunting (quality) the answer is easy. Increase the deer population back up closer to what we had in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. How do you do that??? Shoot less does and manage where you hunt. Talk to other hunters that hunt in your area and get them to shoot less does. If populations get too high then take some extra does. A higher deer population means more bucks. More bucks mean that more will survive to the next year. Each year older a buck gets usually means they get smarter and are harder to kill. Being allowed one anysex bow and one gun buck is not hurting our quality. As far as landowners getting the third buck tag, I personally don’t know one landowner that is managing that has ever killed three bucks in a year unless they were trying to cull specific bucks. I know I have never shot three bucks in one season and only a couple of times shot two. Many years I didn’t even shoot a buck even though I can have three bucks. Most guys that bow and gun hunt don’t fill both tags with bucks anyway. Many guys only hunt with one weapon so they only have one buck tag. Just look at the number of licenses sold and the number of bucks harvested. Quit worrying about trying to change number of bucks allowed and season lengths. Stay focused on keeping crossbows out of the regular archery season. That is the real threat to Iowa’s deer quality in regards to buck age structure. These other “What if”/ “What would you change” threads are really a waste of time in Iowa and will only add to the already declining resident deer hunter participation. Not to mention getting people focused on the wrong issues. Again, Everyone better stay focused on keeping crossbows out of the regular archery season. That is the real threat to our buck age structure. The deer population issue is already in our/your hands.

I would be for ending late muzzleloader on December 31st, and would like to keep bow going as it does now. January is actually my favorite time to hunt the whole season, and I see every buck on my farm in January..if you use a muzzleloader it's like shooting fish in a barrel.

Last edited:
The larger part of this that would help in my opinion is no deer drives in the late seasons. This would help with less shed bucks being shot and the does and bucks not being stressed being run all over at a time of year that can be hard on them already.

The larger part of this that would help in my opinion is no deer drives in the late seasons. This would help with less shed bucks being shot and the does and bucks not being stressed being run all over at a time of year that can be hard on them already.
I would love to see deer drives only allowed during shotgun seasons. But I have seen it early muzzy and late muzzy here...

I would prefer to keep the Jan 10 date, BUT have a 10 day break after shotgun of no hunting. So Muzzleloader would be Jan 1-10. I think an education push on shed bucks would be of great benefit to the average hunter.

This would also allow people to be with family over the holidays and no be "missing out" on deer hunting.

No deer drives

Fix the AR "handgun" loophole.

As a non-resident who has owned property in Iowa since 2006, I would hate to see the season close on December 31. Either my son or I try to draw a tag each year, and hunt after Christmas during the late muzzleloader season.
This year my son hunted while I hung out with his two daughters, aged 7 and 9. It’s a trip I’ll never forget.

I would be for ending late muzzleloader on December 31st, and would like to keep bow going as it does now. January is actually my favorite time to hunt the whole season, and I see every buck on my farm in January..if you use a muzzleloader it's like shooting fish in a barrel.
Sorta like hunting the rut then isn't it?

I would agree with either closing the season for a week or so after 2nd Gun or ending all seasons on 12/31.what I would really prefer is to remove scopes from muzzleloaders. A few other states have done this recently. Something needs to change to allow more bucks to survive to maturity on a state wide level.

Do you guys not realize how many of those shed bucks are actually killed during shotgun rather than the LM season?

My thoughts on the LM season going as long as it does is because the holidays fall within it. With my family that’s 6 days taken away from hunting for Christmas. (I don’t get special privileges to miss the family events. Lol) Leave it the way it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what I would really prefer is to remove scopes from muzzleloaders. A few other states have done this recently. Something needs to change to allow more bucks to survive to maturity on a state wide level.
Even better, take it back to what it was intended to be - a primitive arms season. No more scopes, no more smokeless powder. If you spend the money it is pretty much a "single shot high power rifle" season now.

I would be against decreasing the length of the deer season. Not sure why people would want decreased days afield. All you accomplish by doing that is concentrating the hunters afield on any given day. If you own your own property you are able to decide what is harvested regardless of the number of days. If you hunt public or by permission you should want as many days as possible to be afield to allow you time to be more selective and decrease the number of hunters on the given parcel you are hunting. If you want 10 less days to be afield then hang your equipment up December 31. Let the rest hunt until the 10th. Deer season has been from Oct 1-January 10 for well over 30 years. And the addition of 15 days in September for kids to get after them isn’t hurting our deer herd. Season length or the number of bucks allowed hasn’t stopped Iowa from being the best State for deer hunting. I guarantee if you decrease the length of any seasons that you will do the exact opposite of what you are hoping to accomplish. You think more bucks will survive and age class will improve. I think that belief is very miss guided, what will happen is guys will be less selective and shoot the first decent buck they see because they don’t have as many days afield to get an opportunity. More 1 1/2, 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 year olds will be killed because hunters won’t feel that they have the time to wait for a 4 1/2 or older buck. Think about it. If they said bow season will only be 15 days long next year. Would you be more or less selective??? Look at NW Iowa. They drove the population down to where they have buck only for first season shotgun. Guys I know started shooting younger bucks to fill tags. Less deer=less bucks=less opportunity. Only have five days to hunt. Most guys only have two days because they have jobs to be at on Monday. So what do they shoot??? 1 1/2 and 2 1/2 year olds mostly. Then second season rolls around and the only thing left are does. So what gets shot to fill tags, does. Population continues to decline or stays depressed. I promise you that the hope of getting out afield one more time before season ends has saved more young bucks than any regulation could ever do. Those that keep saying to leave things alone and quit trying to change what we already have are correct. These threads only stir the pot with proposed changes. It distracts people from the real threats to our deer hunting quality. Which is the potential for crossbows to become legal for regular archery season. Currently, If you want better deer hunting (quality) the answer is easy. Increase the deer population back up closer to what we had in the late 90’s and early 2000’s. How do you do that??? Shoot less does and manage where you hunt. Talk to other hunters that hunt in your area and get them to shoot less does. If populations get too high then take some extra does. A higher deer population means more bucks. More bucks mean that more will survive to the next year. Each year older a buck gets usually means they get smarter and are harder to kill. Being allowed one anysex bow and one gun buck is not hurting our quality. As far as landowners getting the third buck tag, I personally don’t know one landowner that is managing that has ever killed three bucks in a year unless they were trying to cull specific bucks. I know I have never shot three bucks in one season and only a couple of times shot two. Many years I didn’t even shoot a buck even though I can have three bucks. Most guys that bow and gun hunt don’t fill both tags with bucks anyway. Many guys only hunt with one weapon so they only have one buck tag. Just look at the number of licenses sold and the number of bucks harvested. Quit worrying about trying to change number of bucks allowed and season lengths. Stay focused on keeping crossbows out of the regular archery season. That is the real threat to Iowa’s deer quality in regards to buck age structure. These other “What if”/ “What would you change” threads are really a waste of time in Iowa and will only add to the already declining resident deer hunter participation. Not to mention getting people focused on the wrong issues. Again, Everyone better stay focused on keeping crossbows out of the regular archery season. That is the real threat to our buck age structure. The deer population issue is already in our/your hands.
I think the opposite.. I guarantee it would save deer

I know it’s a bugger to get hunters to agree on anything. & any changes, clearly we will never get 100%.
Here’s what I’m “hearing” from “EVERYONE”!!!!! “Hunting is hurting. The direction of where things have gone & going is concerning. The amount of killing, weapons & seasons has gone too far. We have degraded our resource. It needs to get better” Folks are frustrated & concerned! NO ONE would be for less weapons, seasons, tags or anything if - things were in really great shape. It’s a reaction based on this season’s results & it’s coming from folks who have seen a decline in 5-10 years.

Everyone on here has probably seen “boom & busts” on all sorts of resources. We’ve seen pheasants go from flourish to flop in <10 years. & the guys in the deer Mecca of the state…. I’ll repeat- our friends north of 80…. Like almost 2/3rds of the state…. “Very few deer”. “Ghost town”. “It’s low!!!” Not everywhere but a lot of places!!!! & the guys in deer-central…. Most of em I know are having a tough go for variety of reasons.

So- getting a solution- so hard!!!! “What to change”?!?!?!? We have to start where I think we are…. 90%+ IMHO of guys are rightfully saying “things are tougher & not heading in right direction”. & I agree with that!! Do we need to cancel deer season for 2024? Clearly not. But- we need a bit of relief. IMHO- it’s gonna start with a SLIGHT rebound in population in areas that need it. That’s an easy one or rather- probably the easiest change we can make. Another one…. Have the debate, with data & science…, this late shed buck season in part of the state for cwd…. It’s a loser of a season & loser of an argument. It does NOT stand up to scientific scrutiny!!!! While they move to eradicate deer due to a disease they claim will eradicate deer…. There is ZERO being done about EHD DEVASTATIONS!!!! New strains that continue to ruin whole regions. No tag or season changes there. We can change seasons & quotas for CWD but we can’t do a thing when EHD wipes out 50%++ of an area???? That’s not right & this is simple enough where we can & should be making adjustments based on regional issues.

Things gotta change. & make no mistake…. They have been changing!!!!!!! …… New seasons, several new weapons, higher quotas, etc. It’s changed too far one direction in last 10 years. Time for pendulum to swing the other way.

& FWIW: I can shoot: 3 bucks with my LO tag. I can shoot unlimited if I get party tags. & basically unlimited does. If im in cwd area, I can shoot another buck if I shoot enough does. Then, I can do an urban hunt & shoot a buck there. That’s 5 buck tags + unlimited party buck tags + unlimited does. Even shooting 2 or 3…. Is that really needed?!?!??? NO, it’s not. Unlimited buck & doe tags is not where we should be as a state! We need to get a far more conservative set of regulations implemented.

Agreed!

Decrease antlerless tags especially in northern half, agreed ghost town compared to early 00's. This can and should be accomplished.

Agree or disagree with my opinion below.

Two 5 day shotgun seasons. Like December 6-10. December 11-15.

Late Season Muzz December 16-31.

Seasons end on Jan. 1

Shorter gun seasons reduce mature buck harvests. Would allow for younger bucks to survive, don't have to hide and evade hunters as long.

2 gun seasons still not 1. We don't want everyone afield on the same weekend.

People who are picky on what they shoot will always be picky weather its a 5 day or 10 day season.

Reduce archery season and I would still only shoot a buck if he meet my wants in a deer.

I even think that a landowner should still have to pick a gun season, not be able to hunt both shotgun seasons.

Landowners shouldn't get an (extra tag).

Party hunting I would like to end as shared tags are good for management numbers control but not for maturity control reasons. But I don't see Iowa ever ending party hunting and good luck enforcing only using your own tag if party hunting was still allowed.

Opinions are good and we need to have them or nothing stops going in the direction we are headed.

Even better, take it back to what it was intended to be - a primitive arms season. No more scopes, no more smokeless powder. If you spend the money it is pretty much a "single shot high power rifle" season now.
Yes..Everyone should look up McWhorter muzzleloaders on YouTube and watch the owner in his video. He claims it's a 600 yard weapon. No way that should be allowed in a primitive weapons season..There are many more including brand name muzzleloaders that are long distance weapons now.

Top Bottom