Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Season's over already!

BugleMIn

This dude camme running in this morning. Did not hear a single bird gobble off the roost. Thought it was gonna be a long day. Moved at 7 to a diffrent area and called for 30 minutes. Had one gobbler talking to me but he lost interest. So I got up and moved about 35 yards to the opposite side of my decoys. I called twice and heard a commotion from behind me. He was putting and running to the dekes. Popped him at 20 yards.

1emh2002.jpg

[This message has been edited by iowalongbeard (edited 04-15-2002).]

Way to go!!! You make it look easy! Now let's see what the rest of us can come up with. Something tells me I won't have such an easy time. Congrats.

My dad also got his turkey yesterday. He said a few minutes after he shot it the time was 6:20.He barley had enough time to get set up before they started gobbling right above him.Three jakes came down first then the tom came in to about 40 - 50 yds. he used a slate call and the tom ran away but it turns out he was getting smaller birds away.So the tom came in to about 35 yds. and then the season was over. Hopefully in the next season I will be able to go!!!

[This message has been edited by Youngbuck (edited 04-16-2002).]

BugleMIn-

Congrats on your fine bird, did you use the bow or gun?? What were the stats on his beard, weight, & spur length? My buddies dad had a 22 lb gobbler witha 9 1/2 in beard run up to the decoys at 6:25 am and at 6:30 he was standing over his first turkey ever! Cool thing was it was with the bow and it's only his 2nd year of hunting. Congrats again! Hope I have it twice as hard which means I'll only hunt 2 days!!

[This message has been edited by muddy (edited 04-16-2002).]

I just got back from my grandapa's house and he got his turkey today it was a funny story i will the story when i get back from baseball.

Like that slouching in the photo? I had to take about 10 pictures to get my head in the shot. I hate using the timer buttons on cameras!!!

The longest hair (feather) in the beard is 10 5/8. The spurs were 7/8. His weight unofficially was 24 pounds. Used a shotgun, 3.5 inch with 5's.

I just climbed on the bathroom scale and weighed myself then picked him up.

I don't put much stock in the stats of a turkey. I just shoot the first one that comes along. Fortunately, I have never had a jake be that first bird that I see. Have never shot a jake, but would if opportunity is there.

I saw 5 toms in a flock, 3 were strutting, when I was driving out of my hunting area. All had about same beard length as the one I shot. Glad I hunted yesterday and not today with the wind like it is.

Good Luck everybody.

BugleMIn,

At about the same time you were getting your bird, we were having similar success up in our corner of the state. We had these two birds by 7 AM on opening day. I took the tom on the right with my new Knight TK2000 muzzleloading shotgun purchased through a contact in the iowawhitetail.com classifieds
smile.gif
Shot him at 13 steps...he was a 23 pounder and had an 8 inch beard. What a great hunt!

NWBuckTurkeys2.jpg

Sorry about the picture quality...I took it using the timer and into the sun. Best I've got.

NWBuck

[This message has been edited by NWBuck (edited 04-16-2002).]

I said when i get back from baseball i would tell you the story.

It started out fine he got pulled in and out quietly and put his keys in his pocket.he got his gun and reached into his pocket to get some shells and accidentally hit the alarm button on his keys. the alarm went off and the lights started flashing he quickly got it shut off. He needed to get something from his truck and when he touched it the automatic alarm went off again. So he got in there, set up and stated calling soon he got some toms to gobble and one smaller jake. a group of hens came in then they slowly started moving off. Then a doe came and walked right where the turkeys had been standing and she got a drink then left. Grandpa started getting his calls ready to move when he looked and seen the jake. He sat back down and slowly got his gun. The turkey also wanted a drink but every few seconds his head would pop up and and then his head would go back down. Well every time the turkey's head went down grandpa's gun came up alittle. finally he got his gun all the way up and shot. The turkey had about a 5 inch beard... srcatch the "a" two five inch beards.
Now my dad has his,my grandpa has his now it's my turn.

[This message has been edited by Youngbuck (edited 04-16-2002).]

We had a great day yesterday. I was the first one of our group to get lucky....at 6:30am! Birds were real quiet. Had several gobbling but as soon as they flew down they clammed up. I called a couple times and a beautiful gobbler came in. he didn't gobble once in the tree or on the ground. After he strutted in we watched him for a few minutes and I just couldn't take it anymore! The other two fellows shot two birds simultaneously. We saw them from at least a mile off. Snuck to within 200 yards and called a hen with three gobblers in tow. Needless to say, my buddies didn't let me down and made great shots @ 40 yards. All three birds had beard over 10".
A day hunting with your friends is always fun. But three guys shooting three birds by 8:30 is a blast! Can't wait for fourth season now.......

Top Bottom