Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Seed corn question

Daver

PMA Member
I was recently given 6 bags of seed corn that I don't think I am going to plant because of the large expense associated with fertilizing it and so forth. One - if anyone is interested in this corn I will gladly give it to you as opposed to it not being used, etc. PM me if you are interested.

Two - assuming no one wants to plant it... can this be safely used as deer/turkey feed? I haven't opened any of the bags but I assume since it is seed corn that is has been treated or coated in some way.

Third - if not acceptable to use as feed, can it be used in a corn burner?

Sign me "cornfused"...
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was recently given 6 bags of seed corn that I don't think I am going to plant because of the large expense associated with fertilizing it and so forth. One - if anyone is interested in this corn I will gladly give it to you as opposed to it not being used, etc. PM me if you are interested.

Two - assuming no one wants to plant it... can this be safely used as deer/turkey feed? I haven't opened any of the bags but I assume since it is seed corn that is has been treated or coated in some way.

Third - if not acceptable to use as feed, can it be used in a corn burner?

Sign me "cornfused"...
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

The seed is treated Dave...so not fit for feed.

I'm not sure about a corn burner...if it's outside I suppose it would burn and be fine.

Hopefully someome can use it
waytogo.gif

If you can't find someone to use it this year, I'd save it and plant at a little higher rate next year. Year old corn seed, if properly stored, does not lose germ rate as much as legumes will. I've planted three year old corn and sorghum with good results.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure about a corn burner...if it's outside I suppose it would burn and be fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not recommended, but I know one guy who does it. If it is treated, I would really watch putting it in a corn burner.

Top Bottom