Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Seeing any movement?

jasondodd

Anybody else out for late muzzy season the last couple days? I thought sure with the temp drop this afternoon they'd be out feeding, but the prime food source for my area didn't have any deer come in tonight. What are your thoughts.......will the wind pre-empt their stomachs even when it gets cold?

Thanks for the thoughts!

Jason

In my experience, wind will keep them in bed. I have a tag in hand, just haven't found time to hunt yet. So, I've been scouting from my vehicle. Seen a lot of movement, especially way after dark :( This storm wrapping up should get em up tho. I'll be out this weekend. Good luck!!

Deer were moving to picked soybeans on my land yesterday. The does were in the field at 4:00 pm, and bucks were out around 4:30. I might add these deer haven't been hunted since first season shotgun.

only saw a couple out last night, they browsed the standing corn and dug in the alfalfa. I see a lot of tracks in the alfalfa thismorning, lots of holes dug in the snow. I will be back out tonight.

I have been seeing A LOT of deer, just NOT the right ones..... I'll keep at it!

Well I moved to a different farm tonight, more of a travel corridor from a bedding area and saw a bunch of deer...no shooters though! Wish I'd have had my bow with me to fill that last doe tag. Completely NOT where I expected them to be. Going to set up on them again tomorrow night and hopefully a big on will decide to hang with the group

Saturday night 20 of them walked by me in the woods and I got a doe. Had it been shotgun season, I would have got 2 or 3 :).

Fresh snow on Sunday morning and no movement whatsoever. I had to work over 200 acres by myself and mananged to jump the same 3 does several times. A 6point buck went wizzing by me about 2pm he got scared by something. He didn't even know I was there.

Im wondering where the 20 or so does went cause they are nowhere to be found. Neighborhood kids were riding their quads and snowmobiles around and deer still not moving.

I hate freezing my butt off in the woods all day, walking close to 5 miles, and not seeing anything. Ive got one doe tag left to fill, im not picky, older doe, younger doe, I dont care.

OK everyone I'm selfishly trying to keep this late season discussion alive. For 4 days in a row I've seen the same 14 deer come out and feed at the same time. The entire group is 1-2 year old deer. I've stayed on the spot hoping a big boy will come into the food source, but no luck. It's an open hay/corn/bean field about 15 acres in size surround on 3 sides by timber. Near to it is a heavy bedding area and a main creek timber that the bucks typically cruise during the rut. Would you stay on this food source or look for another secondary source that the bigger guys may be feeding on while staying out of site? There are a few patches of mast trees within the two mile stretch of creek timber but no standing corn or beans except for this food plot im referencing and another 1 mile north (separated from bedding areas by swollen creek and not near as many tracks in the last week)

Thoughts?

Thanks!

What are the trail cams seeing if you have any out. I have a great late season set up but the deer are not hitting it until last light. Full moon approaching and lots of snow keep them feeding late imo... I could sit in a stand all night here I think, it is so dang bright out

Hopefully the cold weather today along with no wind will get some big ones up on their feet and moving. Where i'm hunting there is almost too much standing corn in.

I seen a ton Sunday night. Don't think another deer could have fit in my acre bean plot. Over a dozen bucks but nothing over 130. I wish I could put about 5 acres into beans. They hit them every night, just not the right ones. Hopefully the keep coming into our picked corn.

My buddy and I Frooze our butts off in Tree stands the other night for 3 hours, not a single deer. Droove around on the way home, and the 20+ deer were on the other side of the creek in residential neighborhood eating under some kind of nut tree. Another dozen on the other side in a hay field eating from round bales.

The creek which should normally be frozen over at this time of the year is flowing high right now, and I have seen them avoid crossing it. There is only one bridge in the area, and that morning I noticed alot of tracks going over the bridge.

So until the deer decide to come back, I got no deer to hunt. :(

Droove around on the way home, and the 20+ deer were on the other side of the creek in residential neighborhood eating under some kind of nut tree. Another dozen on the other side in a hay field eating from round bales.

The creek which should normally be frozen over at this time of the year is flowing high right now, and I have seen them avoid crossing it. There is only one bridge in the area, and that morning I noticed alot of tracks going over the bridge.

So until the deer decide to come back, I got no deer to hunt. :(

I dunno Greg, but it sounds to me like you need to take a "nature walk" on the other side of the creek to me. :D (I am assuming of course that you have permission, or can get it, to do so.)

Top Bottom