Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Selecting First Bow

idsman75

I'm in the process of selecting my first bow. Hoyt seems to offer a good cross between quality and price. Right now I'm looking at a few different Hoyt models but I seem somewhat fixed on an MT Sport.

Here's the quandry that I'm in. There are two dealers in town and they are the only ones that seem to have a decent indoor range. They both offer bow packages at a good price but I've found some OUTSTANDING prices for new bows on internet auctions. Both dealers know my by my face and they know where I work and what I do for a living. I'd feel incredibly rediculous showing up to use the indoor range if I didn't buy the bow from the shop in question.

Rumor has it that one of the shop owners frequents this board.

Indoor ranges are nice when the weather acts up like it is now here in Sioux City. It's just so hard not to bite off on a good deal when you see one. Then again, it's good to have willing expert advice from someone who sold you your bow and is willing to help you out with it when you're a newbie to the world of archery like me. When I was young I saw a hunting show on television where a compound bow was being used to hunt turkey. That is actually what fascinated me with archery from a young age. I guess that's why I stopped in at the Longbeard Conference to post this.

It is worthwhile to keep all your business at one shop. It can lead to good deals down the road. If either one were to hold a grudge against you for shopping elsewhere I wouldn't want to give them my business anyway. I'm hesitant to shop on line, too easy to get screwed over. That and the bow would not be set up perfectly for you like at a pro shop. My advice is to get the bow at one of the shops and go from there. By the way, the MT Sport package is an excellent choice, good luck.

Bow shops can be really up and down as far as how well they treat you as a "good" customer. I know the two shops you are talking about and one will steal your wallet with one hand while you're shaking the other. You can sort them out for yourself, but for my first bow I would definitely go to a shop I had a trust level with and have them set the bow up right. As you gain expererience and a better knowledge of what your prefer to shoot you can do more on your own.
Muddys' counterparts at Scheels in SC have some good deals on two or three Mathews bows you may want to look at before they move.

hunt-m-up

Can you email me? I don't know much about the two shops. Both seemed to treat me right and have always made great long conversation while I've been browsing and debating. I also caught wind that the owner of one of the shops is a registered member here so I don't want to get into the business end publicly.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Jeremy

Top Bottom