Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Selective Cutting Timber

dtk913

We would like to do some selective cut logging on our farm to enhance the habitat in some areas. The areas we are looking at are heavily timbered ridges and draws, but there is a severe lack of undergrowth and browse. The trees are mostly hardwood, oaks, hickory, cherry, etc. There are some that are good size for harvesting, but most are in the 10-16 inch range that most loggers we have had in don't want to mess with.

I have a couple of questions: First, is there someone out there that will come to a farm and go over the area and tell us what would be the best course of action for achieving our goals. I know we can hire people to do that, but I am wondering about the DNR or something like that. Second, does anyone know of a good logging outfit that would take on a job like this?

I appreciate any help and advice we can get. I am all for trying new things when it comes to deer management, but when I have to start cutting down trees I would like to make sure I am doing things the right way.

I know he is busy but Doubletree has a WEALTH of knowledge on the subject and would be a good contact. He has helped me a great deal on understanding this aspect of management and you will always be learning.

Hinge cutting these areas is an option, but I would also try to SAVE the oaks and do a TSI/Hinge program. Do TSI first, then you can go back and hinge cut select areas to enhance the browse/cover, as well as create funnels. Plus, you could mmake $ to put back in your farm :)

Tree ID is huge, so I also advise a trip with your forestor to get their input, but remember they dont always think like we do in terms of habitat. You are on the right track though and sounds like a harvest isnt an option. So in this case, look into TSI and hinging!

IA DNR has foresters I believe that will walk your farm with you and give recomendations.

If you do go for a cut.....hiring a professional forester is you BEST option. They know the markets, can get sealed bids, oversee the harvest etc.

Call before you cut:

http://www.callb4ucut.com/

The first call you should make is to your district forester. He will be able to tell you if your property has enough valuable trees to have the loggers give you some bids. I received around $160 an acre for doing a TSI project last summer. It opened up the canopy to enhance the growth of veneer walnuts and oaks while creating tons of undergrowth and browse for deer. I also have an outdoor wood boiler that heats my house and shop so I used many of the hickories and cherries that had to be girdled, for fire wood. I do recommend leaving the non-desirable, larger trees standing "girdled and dead" and hinging the smaller trees. The standing, girdled trees will last much longer for firewood than if they were laying on the ground.

I also have an outdoor wood boiler that heats my house and shop so I used many of the hickories and cherries that had to be girdled, for fire wood. I do recommend leaving the non-desirable, larger trees standing "girdled and dead" and hinging the smaller trees. The standing, girdled trees will last much longer for firewood than if they were laying on the ground.

I agree with leaving the "good wood" trees standing, especially if you are going to use them for firewood.

FWIW, I had hickories in my timber that were girdled in late winter/early spring that still had some new green leaves on them the next spring. Yes, some of those hickories lived, albeit impaired, for about 12-18 months after being double girdled. Because hickory is a stout wood to begin with and some of them were still living a year later, I still have "fire woodable" (new word :grin:) hickories in my timber now several years after the TSI project was done.

I also like the idea of hinging the less desirables, in part because you then can control where they fall. It wasn't a huge problem, but I still occasionally find a tree that finally fell and ended up laying across something I wish it hadn't, like a trail, etc.

Here is the contact info for the district foresters. Absolutely give them a call and get the one that covers your area to come out and take a look. They will write a woodland stewardship plan that will summarize what you have for timber on your property, and then give you suggestions to help make the timber better meet your goals and objectives. All of this is provided FREE OF CHARGE from the DNR district foresters!

Also, if you are looking at having a commercial timber sale, be sure to talk it over with the forester. They will help you through the process.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/Environment/...ownerAssistance/DistrictForesterContacts.aspx

Thanks for all the great information. I will start with a call to our district forester. I am sure I will have more questions as we go about our plan.

I wouldn't sell anything but walnut right now and only 19"+ at that on walnuts. Everything else is down w/economy and u'll give it away right now where in 5-10 years u'll have a great log value- free up those good logs eith TSI now!! TSI will b huge for ur goals, should b ur 1st plan of action and should come before selling younger trees with poor market value right now. TSI!!! Get ur forester in there and sign up!

Well we have an appointment for the forester to come and walk the property on the 22nd. I will let you guys know how it turns out.

Thanks

TSI, using the right prescription, not always crop tree release, is vitally important to any forest. Remember, too, that selective harvest is really not the right harvest prescription in oak dominated forest -- clear cutting is the answer here, so oaks can get full sunlight.

The white oak market has been good on big trees (20" and over), though most buyers won't be looking for more trees until next spring now....

Hope your meeting goes well...

Rich

Update - The district forester has been to our farm twice so far. He came the week of Christmas and went over about half of the area we want to work on and then came back last Friday when I could be there and went over it with me since I wasn't there the first time. He still has a pretty good chunk to look at, but to say I was impressed with his assesment and advice would be an understatement.

I can't wait for him to finish looking everything over and write his Stewardship Plan, so we can start making some plans and get started. He has been great to work with. He not only seems to really know his business, but he does a really good job of explaining and teaching as we went along. It sounds like we will have several different management practices to implement in different areas to help us reach our goals.

Top Bottom