Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Self filming

Looking to start doing some self filming this turkey season and upcoming deer season. Wondering if any fellow Iowa Whitetailers do it and succeed.

I have a smaller Sony Handycam I will be using, and will upgrade if I can get the hang of it. It has a pretty solid zoom, and decent clarity. Will probably get the Muddy outfitter arm to go along with it. Does any one self film? If so, shed some light on a young hunter. I am always up for a challenge! What are some of the experiences you have had while self filming? Thanks in advance!

I think you will be shocked the amount of guys that film on this site... I usually have a camera person, way easier to try to shoot and draw your bow and get good footage. However, if you are self filming, you lack the zoom abilities when they are stuck right in on you, or if they move out of the area then you miss the shot. I filmed 2 does this last year that worked out perfect, and 4 other deer with another person...wayyyy better that way... I am sure alot of the other guys will shed more light than I can

I tried filming this year, I need a better camera though.. however both times I forgot my camera are the times I shot a deer.

I got in the habit of pulling my phone out and filming just for pleasure. If the deer was not kicking me into kill mode I grabbed my phone. I shared plenty and many FB freinds enjoyed. Brought many friends hunting that never have experienced sitting in a tree to bow hunt.

It is tougher than it appears to be. Self-filming is a whole different level. Like it was mentioned above, you have to keep zoomed backed out slightly further in order to get a shot when accounting for shooting window. If you've hunted long then you know a hunt doesn't always go as planned. It sure is cool to have the footage though.

Speaking from many years of experience. Filming for yourself is difficult and it can cost you a lot of bucks. Instead of preparing for the shot, your focused on filming the buck and getting the camera into position. I have harvest many deer on video by myself, but the majority were with a muzzleloader. Bow is much more difficult.

Most of my self filming has been limited to snap chat.

Just get yourself a camera arm and a camera and make it happen. The muddy arms are about as good as they come, but for a guy just trying to record hunts to share with family and friends, there are much cheaper options.

Top Bottom