Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Self Guided Nebraska Antelope Hunt

zvholk

We got permission to hunt a small alfalfa field that we have seen antelope in for the past 2 years. It was just by luck that the farmer was pulling out of the field drive when Mike (live4rut ) and his cousin Scott were driving by so they stopped and asked if we could hunt. After a half hour of talking about farming and antelope he said that we could hunt on his property .

On the last full day of our 2 1\2 day hunt we headed to the blind at 1:30 and got settled in for a long sit. Scott was sitting with me because he shot his antelope that morning. Mike and Shannon were both set up on the other end of the field. It wasn’t long and a group of does and a small buck came over the hill and in to the field. I had all intentions of shooting the first thing that came by but that group never got close.

Another group of does and a giant buck were on Mike and Shannon’s side of the field and got within 10 yards from where Mike had his blind set up earlier that morning but for some reason he decided to move to a different spot, and he was kicking himself in the butt.

The rain was off and on all day, and when it moved in the antelope left the alfalfa field and went up the hill to bed down. Scott looked out the back window and noticed there was another group of antelope on our side of the field bedded down 137 yards behind us. The wind picked up and it got very cold out, we all were texting back and forth about how bad the weather was. As soon as the rain stopped and the clouds cleared the goats got up and move back in the field.

At 6:50 a group of 6 buck antelope came over the hill and started walking towards the doe behind us, as they get to us one stopped broadside, I drew my bow waiting for Scott to tell me the yardage. By the time he said 53 the little antelope was gone. They were somewhere behind us but we could not see them because of the big stack of bales. I got out of the blind to sneak around the corner, of course they see me first and bolt out of the field and over the hill.

We sat there thinking that the hunt was over when all of a sudden we see the group of bucks running down the hill being chased by a coyote, they came in just like I had pictured. Scotty and I had time to get situated and discuss the plan. At 7:24 with just minutes of shooting light left they stopped at 46 yards, I touched my release and watched the arrow fly hitting one of the bigger bucks right in the hind quarter. He took off a few hundred yards zig zaging the whole way, stopped and stood there. that’s when the other 5 ran over and formed a circle around him as if they were trying to protect him. They stayed there till he laid down then they slowly walked off. It was the coolest thing I have ever seen.
We sat in the blind for 1/2 hour before we walked over to my first ever prong horned antelope. He isn’t the biggest buck we seen that weekend but I couldn’t be any happier with him.
zach9-17-11-1.jpg

a view from the blind as the sun was coming back out
Nebraska9-17-11040.jpg

Group picture Zach, Shannon, Mike, and Scott
Nebraska9-17-11066.jpg

I also shot a prairie dog at 20 yards
prairiedog.jpg

And to top it all off i found a shed
IMG00271-20110921-1959.jpg

Last edited:
It's all about the adventure!!!!!!!! And that would be great to do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!:way::way::way: Congrats!!!!!!!!!!:drink2::drink2:

Awesome job. I don't know that I have the patience to wait another 10+ years to draw a tag in AZ and a pronghorn hunt is one of my dreams. Nice job!

And yes, pronghorn are the exception to the general rule that animals with horns don't shed as well as being the only animal with horns that are branched as opposed to straight. I've seen tons of pronghorn down here right after they shed. Sweet find on the shed!

Great Pics Zach! I had a blast with you guys! Mike and I need to figure out how to get back out there to fill our tags. Congrats to Scotty and Zach!

Well done! Chasing lopes has to be one of the most fun hunts to go on. How did the decoys work?

The sheath of the prong is made of hair and does shed. Be sure to pull them off if doing your own euro mount...nasty stuff inside there. If using beetles, take them off or else the beetles will take care of them too.

The decoys worked good. They were pulling bucks a way from a long way but they seemed to dislike the bilnds. They would all put the brakes on at about 100 yards. Zach sat in a natural grind blind one morning and had one come right in from several hundred yards to 58 yards where it seen him draw.

The cow decoy worked all right. The decoy that attached to my bow worked pretty good. I had a doe come screaming into at about 15 yards. It was pretty crazy. The mel dutton worked pretty good as well. I think we needed more practice working the decoys before we actually tried them LOL.

I'm sure you guys had a great time! You harvested one of the animals on my bucket list! Congrats!

Top Bottom