Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Self Imposed Suicide watch

SCOFFIN

Miles Coffin
I shot the biggest deer I've ever had come near a stand of mine ever today and it was a chip shot 15 yarder.. Thought I made a good shot, but nothing but fat on the arrow. Hit right behind the front leg. Thought it was a heart shot, but I'm now thinking it was all brisket.. Only found a few drops of blood about 80 yards from where I shot him and a couple pools about as round as a pop can, then the blood just stopped. I'm freaking sick to my stomach about this.. Let him be for 5 hours then went and looked for about 3 hours. I think this buck is alive and hopefully well enough to come see me again. Gonna look again tomorrow!!! One of those Great/BAD days in the woods..

Oh, and I rattled him in.. Just some light sparring rattling for about 30 seconds and he came in on a string..

So, do you think it's possible I did get a fatal shot? It's in that heart area and I tracked him well over 100 yards. If I did hit heart, I would have thought he would have died in the first 100 yards.

Man you have had a rough go so far this year with stands and now this. I know the feeling, there was a day or two where I wanted to do a swan dive out of my tree before but keep at it. I would also look for that buck one more time. Like mentioned above I have had the fat this time of year really clog them up.

You may have, you never know. When hunting I alway say anything can happened. I double lunged a doe last year tracked her 300 yards. And how long did you wait after the shot.

I stayed in the stand an hour after the shot, let him set another 5 hours after that. After I hit him he bounced off about 20 yards, stood there and took inventory, then just slowly walked off like nothing happened..

From everything I have seen a heart shot deer usually runs farther than a double lung deer. They usually take off like crazy though at the shot. If he just bounced a few yards and slowly walked off it does sound like you shot pretty low. Hard to say though.

I hit a buck 5 years ago very low behind the shoulder. He walked off slowly like a liver shot. Came back 4 hours later to find him dead in his bed. Perfectly sitting there 100 yards away like he was taking a nap. Analyzed the shot and I came 5 inches from missing him completely.

If you hit behind the shoulder id say he is dead. You can be low and leathel. Good luck in the morning!

Keep looking for sure. If you got the edge of the heart he could have gone a ways and like said before the hole could have plugged up. Maybe tomorrow look at what color hair you can find where he was standing.
Good luck

Keep looking for sure. If you got the edge of the heart he could have gone a ways and like said before the hole could have plugged up. Maybe tomorrow look at what color hair you can find where he was standing.
Good luck

The hair color will tell you a lot in this situation. A lot of white hair will not be good. I hope it is brown and you find him soon. GOOD LUCK!

That SUCKS!!! Keep after it though, if he's fine you have a good chance at getting a shot at him again. Keep searching and if that's no success, keep looking for crows, vultures, etc.

I've picked some fatty arrows after shots in the past and not one ever lead to a dead deer. He probably has no idea what happened and will heal and be fine....hopefully he will stay in your area and you can get another whack at him. Personally, the few bucks I did hit and not kill, I never got another shot at. Good luck..

What type of broadhead were you using? I hit one very low a couple years ago, I mean an inch or two from missing, but the Rage opened him up enough he bleed out after 24 hrs. It was all briskett no vitals but the Rage left a gaping wound. It looked like some one sliced his briskett with a sword.

sounds like he's fine. A heart shot deer would most likely die within 80 yards. Its probably just a flesh wound and I bet you'l see him again.... I've done this a time or two and never found the deer and actually saw them afterwards no worse for the wear....

:way:

Top Bottom