Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Senator Dennis Black response SF 18

L

Lope

Here is my original communication,

I truly hope that you are not considering passing SF 18, I feel this bill
is not in the best interest of the Iowa hunter (taxpayer/voter) or the Iowa
economy. With the increase in nonresident hunting license will come an
increase in nonresidents purchasing and/or leasing up land, limiting access
to the Iowa hunter (taxpayer/voter), this will evidentially lead to fewer
hunter and fewer hunters in the feild. I personally travel (spend money)
through out the state in pursuit of game, and knowing that the oppurtinty
for me to find an area to hunt is going to be limited, will make me
reconsider make these trips.

I truely wish that as Iowa represenatives you take the Iowa hunter
(taxpayer/voter), into consideration before voting on this bill

If you could share your view of this bill with me it would be greatly
appreciated.

Thank You,

Note to Dennis. Get up on the other side of the bed tomorrow morning...

Lope,
Did not seem to be "subconscious "threats"" to me. May be the guy is having a bad day... Give him the benefit of the doubt.
confused.gif

Ever notice that few % of wardens who have a real attitude problem? Kind of like they don't like to play nice in the sand box!

I wrote him back and thanked him for responding, and told him I appreciated his veiw.

But I also told him that his comments were very unprofessional and uncalled for.

I don,t want to seem ungrateful, but I don't think two wrongs make a right. I think that three references to the tax payer/voter thing was overkill, but the Senator's response could and should have been more polite. If these reprensentives want feed back from the voters they shouldn't lash out when they have some one at least interested enough to contact them. Keep writing people. They can't know how we feel if we don't tell them, and you can be sure Farm Bureau is telling them how they feel.

Lope,
Maybe I'll just do a cut and paste with you're original email and send it to the senator with my name signed to it. I wonder if his response would be any different? Maybe take out 1 or 2 of the taxpayer/voter things as suggested. Hmmm, I may have to think about that.

All I have to say is wow........As a voter and a tax payer, I would expect to be treated with a little more respect than that by someone who is supposed to be a representative.......Especially when the senator makes reference to a person's socio economic status ("I have constituents who pay far more in taxes than you").........and how that may effect the way he votes on a particular item.

Just to clarify, I believe Senator Black is an employee of the Jasper County Conservation Board, and not an employee of the Iowa DNR.

I also emailed Senator Black and recieved a short response which just said "he was certain SF 18 would not make it out of committee, and that he would monitor it". I do not know him personally.

Good job Timber.Keep e-mailing the Senators and hopefully many more of us will do it too.I know I will!!!!!!

When I pulled up SF 18 I got something to do with school funding. Can someone please email me the bill to me or post it on this site....Please!

Thanks

This guy really put my panties in a bunch, I worte a letter to the entire Natural resources Committee expressing my concern over SF18, which I thought was worded kindly and this is the response I got.

Taxpayer/Voter,

Actually, when you communicate with any public officials, it is not necessary to use the subtle intimidation of advising them of your being a taxpayer/voter! Such subconscious "threats" of voter retaliation in case the official differs from your views are absolutely unnecessary, and only tend to cause the receiver to delete the message.

I listen to all Iowans, regardless of whether they vote or pay taxes. You do not receive priority consideration because you happen to vote or pay taxes. Actually, you don't vote in my district, and as to taxes paid, I have constituents who pay far more in taxes than you, who support the legislation.

However, as a 33-year Conservation Officer for Jasper County, who has the opportunity to take leave-of-absence to serve in the legislature, I understand the issue very well. The current level of licenses issued is sufficient.

Sheesh...what did you say to him? Sounds like it was along the lines of "vote down SF-18 or I'll put an arrow in your rear end!".

Tomo

As a long time Iowa hunter I have heard of Dennis Black many times before and I believe he has a long service record in support of conservation and Iowa outdoorsman.

As we all well know the internet is not the best way to share emotions or communicate professionally at times.

As a backseat reader, I thought the (I spend money in Iowa) point of your letter was kicking a dead horse. I have written many letters to the legislators and have found, like it or not we should think or communcate like a politician.

I would suspect that any of us who have never experienced public service at that level might find it very trying at times to keep everyone happy.

Although I feel strongly that we should communicate with our legislators about these issues, we must also consider that our hunting issues are not the salt of the earth. And if we have someone who will at least acknowledge there is a place for hunting, then we are doing well.

BW,
You know you are right when it comes to hunting issues not being the salt of the earth, and that is exactly why I posted the Senator's response on this site.

What truly concerns me is the tone the Senator took with me, I was writing as a concerned citizen, and there was no reason for the Senator to try and belittle me. I did not launch a personal attack against the Senator, and my intentions were not to intimidate or make subtle threats, but rather express my concerns as a citizen of this great state. If those are the Senators true feeling, then according to the Senator I just truly do not have a voice.

Democracy - Government by the people, exercised either directly or through elected representatives. The common people, considered as the primary source of political power

Lope,

Hey guys. I guess I have a contrary position but hope we can be civil and discuss the great issue and be civil doing it.

I may be in the minority, but unless you own your own land , I believe the person providing you trespass rights on their land should be able to reap whatever benefits people are willing to pay for. Yes here we go about money. It is not fair that I do not have enough to afford to own my own place to hunt. For that reason I believe those of us in this situation should be doing everything in our power to support more public HUNTING opportunities.

I further do not have any problem with substantial increases in the number of nonresident licenses. I believe thay would need to be managed carefully so that they cannot all come here at one time. I find that hunting next to well managed leased land offers more opportunities for BIG bucks than where locals have a " if it is brown it is down attitude". I am doing what it takes to find and hunt next to leased land that is being managed for quality. I also practice shooting antlerless or MATURE bucks which may or may not have a rack good enough for the wall.

By doing so, it completely changes a person from a killer into a hunter. It is tough to let the 2 year olds and younger bucks walk and run the season down to the last day or two. It is what I choose to do. I find I do not HAVE to fill my tag and the whole experience is much better for me.

Hunt Iowa,
I guess I don't see where Lope is not being civil..........

I respect that fact that you don't mind the increase in the # of nonresident tags increasing. I speculate that would have to do with the fact that you live in Duncombe and have not been the effected by out of state hunters either buying or leasing up a majority of the huntable land around. However, if you were living in Allamakee county where, from what I have read, 40% + of the land (considered to be deer ground) is leased or bought by out of state hunters your view might be different.

DT

Top Bottom