Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Setting up

J

jason

How far do you usually set up on a bird as it's still roosted? And do you guys call as he's still up there, or wait for him to fly down, I know it depends if he is or isn't roosted with hens. Lets say he isn't, you would nail him with calling, or still wait?

Thanks and good hunting

jason

Rule of thumb seems to be 100 yards for a distance from roosted birds. Closer would work too. Depends if you can get there without spooking the birds. Some will say NEVER call to a Tom in the tree. I usually can't resist, but when I do call I just do a few very light tree yelps, just to let him know I'm there. I do that if there are or aren't hens there already. If he's with hens I just let it play out for awhile. If the hens are vocal I will be too. If things are quiet I stay soft with my calling. There are so many other factors involved. One of the things I've learned if the Tom is with hens and gobbling his brains out, keep a eye out for the ones that aren't gobbling. Subordinate Toms will often slip in to your calling. They won't go to the group if they got beat-up by the boss in a earlier meeting. Two years ago on opening day all the gobbling was to my right, I filled with a quiet one that came in from my left. Never heard a peep out of him.
For what it's worth!

Jason:

There will be some one who will tell you to get as close as you can but the bad thing is you can't tell that until you are too close and spook the bird. Try to locate him by his gobbles then try to find a place 100 to 150 yards from him. I like to set up on the edge of a field with my back to the bird. I put a jake or a jake and hen decoy 15 to 20 yards out in the field, then settle in. He will usually start to gobble again and then I give a soft tree yelp just to let him know I'm there. He will continue to sound off while it starts to get lighter. Make a few soft short calls to keep him interested. If other hens start calling get a little louder so he will key in on you, then give a flydown cackle. As the light improves he will very likley see the decoys and fly out that way. When you see or hear him fly out let him know you are there and available. He will very likley cut you off with his gobbles. If he is close enough for you to see don't call for a bit and see if he will approach the decoys. If he does just get ready for a shot. If not give a few clucks and see what he does. The cardinal rule is don't call if he is coming in to you. I have had birds run upto the jake decoy and attack it, or walk up drumming and spitting and display a dozen times or more. If you get this chance just enjoy the show for a while! When you are ready to shoot give a little cluck or putt to make him stand still and stick his head and neck up away from his body. This will get you shaking as bad as a buck walking under your stand and give you the same wonderful memories and feelings if you are successful. Call em close and shoot em dead. Good luck.

a 100 yards seems to be about the right distance. it seems sometimes it is just too hard to get any closer especially if you cant see that old tom and he isnt gobbling much. ive learned the hard way and have spooked a few gobblers by getting to close. most of the time however it was because i spooked the hens that were around the gobbler but closer to me than the gobbler was. if i get a 100 yards away and no that nothing can see me, i do a few soft tree yelps then when it is about fly down light i take my hat off and beat it against my leg like a turkey flying off the roost. then i do a couple of soft yelps and clucks and some purrs while scratching in the leaves so they think there is a hen close on the ground eating in the timber. it seems to work pretty well. everybody has there method of turkey hunting so it i guess it is what you find works best. good luck!!!!
smile.gif

Top Bottom