Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sf 219

I don't think that they are mutually exclusive.... I personally don't own 80 acres...I would be fooling myself if I didn't wish I could spend every deer season with my bow in hand and the hope of a big buck falling to my arrow.... If I was able to do this nothing would change around me.... the land around where I hunt has all been bought up by Residents and NR..... My personal disappointment is how Iowa has stacked their NR licenses against the bow hunter.....

I agree with 150 class on this issue, I too am a resident landowner. :way:

As an Iowa landowner my alliances are with the resident hunter, the good of Iowa’s deer herd, the heritage of hunting in Iowa, and the future hunting opportunities for our youth.

I am NOT against non resident hunting in Iowa. I simply would like the number of allocated NR tags to remain as they are.

I also would like to see the NR & resident tag loopholes discontinued.

As an IBA Area Representative I don’t always agree with everything the IBA supports or doesn’t support.

However as a whole, I am glad IBA is there for all of us. The IBA is a voice for the Iowa bow & gun hunter alike. Often opposing those whom have a personal hidden agenda. Agenda’s that are detrimental to the State of Iowa, the Iowa resident, and the wildlife in this great state.

Animated-Flag-Iowa.gif
http://www.iowabowhunters.org/

Agreed 100% Blake :way::way::way:

I don't think that they are mutually exclusive.... I personally don't own 80 acres...I would be fooling myself if I didn't wish I could spend every deer season with my bow in hand and the hope of a big buck falling to my arrow.... If I was able to do this nothing would change around me.... the land around where I hunt has all been bought up by Residents and NR..... My personal disappointment is how Iowa has stacked their NR licenses against the bow hunter.....
And the majority of resident hunters do not own land. How do you think it will affect the resident bowhunter if this bill would pass? I live in a county where the larger percentage of nr bowhunters come every year. It has ruined our public hunting, and removed opportuniteis to hunt some very good private land. Heck; i hadn't even heard of hunting leases in Iowa before the infux of nr hunters. At least not in my portion of the state.

The DNR has not stacked anything against the NR, they are benefitting the residents, the people who pay their wages.

The laws of supply and demand always prevail.... There are many reasons why Iowa landscape has changed forever.... media.... govenors tags...too many deer.... land values increasing.....leasing...outfitters.... I like the "ice fishing analogy".... a guy gets on some fish and tells his buddies about it.... they tell their buddies and pretty soon there are so many people on the ice.... they all fall through and drown!! We all wish it would go back to the days when a NR didn't have to wait 3 years for a bow license and access wasn't a problem.....

The DNR has not stacked anything against the NR, they are benefitting the residents, the people who pay their wages.

I didn't say NR... I said NR bowhunter.... we do not have equal rights compared to the NR gun/muzzleloader... this is a fact!! I can not shoot a doe every year with my bow......NR gun hunter can.... He can even party hunt and shoot a buck!! The NR gun hunter has a much better chance at drawing a buck/anterless tag too!! I still have never had the smaller % of the 6000 tags available to the NR going to bowhunters explained to me.... anyone care to enlighten me??

i

These are NRLO asking Iowa politicians for the ability to better manage the deer on their land and pursue their passion to hunt them.... they pay taxes to the state of Iowa....I don't see why you would oppose this basic freedom ....There is the potential for a lot of money for the DNR here that would benefit all Iowans....

Hog wash. Detrimental to all Iowans! Your self serving view point is blinding.

I didn't say NR... I said NR bowhunter.... we do not have equal rights compared to the NR gun/muzzleloader... this is a fact!! I can not shoot a doe every year with my bow......NR gun hunter can.... He can even party hunt and shoot a buck!! The NR gun hunter has a much better chance at drawing a buck/anterless tag too!! I still have never had the smaller % of the 6000 tags available to the NR going to bowhunters explained to me.... anyone care to enlighten me??

Basically Iowa has an unusual amount of people applying to hunt our rut, can't figure out why myself.:) The 35% rule keeps the State's management ideals intact.

Here ya go........

35 % Rule

Yes, the nonresident quota for the Any-Deer Combo licenses (quota 6000) is split so that 35% can go to bowhunters and 65% go to firearms hunters (shotgun 1, shotgun 2, & late muzzleloader seasons). These percentages are written into the Iowa Code in Chapter 483A.8c.

These percentages were not designed to discriminate against nonresident bowhunters, but instead, were designed to distribute the nonresident any-deer license quota among nonresident applicants. The percentages are based on how resident Iowans purchase any-deer licenses. At the time the Code was adopted approximately 35% of resident Iowans purchased any-deer archery licenses and 65% purchased an any-deer firearms license of some type.

The intent of the Code was to distribute the nonresident quota for any-deer licenses in a manner similar to the way resident Iowans utilized the resource. Part of the intent of the establishment of the nonresident any-deer quota was to allow an opportunity for family members to return home and participate in the deer hunt.

Breaking the nonresident any-deer quota into percentages similar to how resident Iowans utilize the resource helps accomplish that goal and it also helps maintain the balance of pressure among the hunting seasons which plays an important part in creating the quality of deer hunting that Iowa is known for.

At the time the Code was adopted the shotgun season was THE deer season for the majority of Iowa residents and that still remains true today. During the 2008/09 deer season, 31% of Iowans purchased any-deer archery licenses and 69% of Iowans purchased only any-deer firearms licenses.

The large, nationwide demand to hunt in Iowa for the purpose of harvesting a "trophy buck" combined with the knowledge that those bucks may be more vulnerable during the rut, has caused more nonresidents to apply for the archery season over one of the firearm seasons. This makes drawing a nonresident archery license more difficult than drawing a firearms license in most zones. This trend seems purely rut-related.

In the neighboring states of Minnesota, Missouri, and Wisconsin where the firearms season is during the rut and nonresidents are not limited, nonresident firearms any-deer license sales far outnumber nonresident archery sales and more closely match how residents of those states purchase deer licenses. In Minnesota for example, during the 2008 season, nonresidents purchased almost 8 times more firearm licenses than they did archery licenses. Also in 2008, about 40% more nonresident bowhunters hunted in Iowa than in Minnesota.

In Iowa, without the percentage allotment between archery and firearms seasons, nonresident any-deer license allocations between seasons would be far different than those of resident Iowans.

How the Draw Works
During the draw, the quota for each zone to be allotted for the archery season is determined and the nonresident any-deer archery season draw is conducted FIRST. All bowhunter applications are considered in order of preference points, then by zone preference, until the nonresident archery quota is filled (35%) or the system runs out of bow season applicants.

Then the nonresident firearms draw is conducted. The only way for nonresident firearm applicants to receive more than 65% of the any-deer quota is if enough bowhunters do not apply to fill 35% of the quota. This has never happened in Iowa and, to my knowledge, the 35% has always been met during the first round of drawings. This means that there is enough first-choice bowhunter applicants for each zone to fill the archery quota.

So you would wish the same situation on Iowa hunters? Misery loves company?

No offense towards the state of Minnesota but if you are losing hunting opportunities there due to NR hunters buying up land imagine what it would be like if Iowa opened up the doors.

Maybe you're hoping some ofthem would sell their land up there and buy property in Iowa? :thrwrck:

My personal disappointment is how Iowa has stacked their NR licenses against the bow hunter.....

Good grief. Boo freckin' hooo. And why is it that IA has done that? Because IA has something that other states do not and there IS A REASON for it. Get over it man. The NR's crying over the way things are in IA is amazing, it's really like you just do not get it. To all the NR's that continue to piss and moan on all of these debates on here about why you should have it your way...if Iowa deer hunting is what you live and breathe for every day of your life and there is nothing of any more importance then put your $$ where you mouth is and move to Iowa, become a resident, and shut the hell up.

I miss the IAWhitetail of old....

Last edited:
BOOYAH! and that dudes from Minnesota! Atleast some of the NR's can understand what we're fighting for! Thanks for the post S2K! I think you should send that to the FOI :D

Last edited:
Good grief. Boo freckin' hooo. And why is it that IA has done that? Because IA has something that other states do not and there IS A REASON for it. Get over it man. The NR's crying over the way things are in IA is amazing, it's really like you just do not get it. To all the NR's that continue to piss and moan on all of these debates on here about why you should have it your way...if Iowa deer hunting is what you live and breathe for every day of your life and there is nothing of any more importance then put your $$ where you mouth is and move to Iowa, become a resident, and shut the hell up.

I miss the IAWhitetail of old....

Thanks for the nice invitation to move to Iowa....

I miss it too.......

I know they need money and it sounds like they are golng to get it through nr tags. It seems that it would be better to charge nrlo for tags than give out 6000 more tags! One of these two things is going to pass! I wish it would stay the same and I am a nrlo, but this thing is coming. 6000 tags will bring outfitters to service the new wave of nr hunters! This is what we should all be worried about, not the nrlo paying almost twice the dollar amount of a drawn nr tag to hunt only there farm! Its the outfitter leasing your 100 acre farm and putting 5 nr hunters on it, and them shooting a 10 pt 3.5 yr old! I know we all want it to stay like it is but they are going to get the money somewhere. We should pick our battles and make sure they dont bring in more nr hunters!

We should pick our battles and make sure they dont bring in more nr hunters!

More NR LO tags is more NR tags. Either way it doesn't matter, for every extra NR tag out there how many displaced resident hunters is that on average 1... 2.... 10...?

Bottom line any changes to the current system will displace thousands of blue collar hunters non-resident and resident alike.

Unlimited NR LO tags is the worst possible outcome.

Yea but nrlo tags puts them on there land only,Not the outfitters! Outfitters ruined other states because of the abundent nr tags, not land owner tags!:thrwrck:

I cannot get over what seems like very few regulations on outiftters #'s, areas, etc..... That in itself is an issue you guys should be trying to take up with legislators. Outfitting isn't a big deal when decent guidelines are set in place.

Well said S2K!!!!

I cannot get over what seems like very few regulations on outiftters #'s, areas, etc..... That in itself is an issue you guys should be trying to take up with legislators. Outfitting isn't a big deal when decent guidelines are set in place.
I thought along the same lines until it was brought to my attention that regulation of outfitters validates them, gives them footing to lobby for more regulations that benefit them (looser rules, more NRLO tags, etc.). Kind of made sense when I thought about it that way. It might be best if they are in kind of a gray area and the NR tags are kept at current levels. That limits their potential client pool, thus capping growth.

Top Bottom