Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF 25/ Dove Hunting

ElkHunter

Life Member
Sen Dearden told me he would file this again.

SENATE FILE
BY DEARDEN

Passed Senate, Date Passed House, Date
Vote: Ayes Nays Vote: Ayes Nays
Approved

A BILL FOR

1 An Act allowing the establishment of an open season for hunting
2 mourning doves.
3 BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA:
4 TLSB 1764SS 83
5 av/nh/14

PAG LIN

1 1 Section 1. Section 481A.48, subsection 1, Code 2009, is
1 2 amended to read as follows:
1 3 1. No A person, except as otherwise provided by law, shall
1 4 not willfully disturb, pursue, shoot, kill, take or attempt to
1 5 take or have in possession any of the following game birds or
1 6 animals except within the open season established by the
1 7 commission: Gray or fox squirrel, bobwhite quail, cottontail
1 8 or jackrabbit, duck, snipe, pheasant, goose, woodcock,
1 9 partridge, mourning dove, coot, rail, ruffed grouse, wild
1 10 turkey, pigeons, or deer. The seasons, bag limits, possession
1 11 limits, and locality shall be established by the department or
1 12 commission under the authority of sections 456A.24, 481A.38,
1 13 and 481A.39.
1 14 EXPLANATION
1 15 This bill authorizes the natural resource commission to
1 16 establish an open season for hunting mourning doves.
1 17 LSB 1764SS 83
1 18 av/nh/14

I would love to see this pass. Great fun and good eating with a peice of bacon and a hot pepper wapped around and grilled over charcoal.....

Oh yeah and another reason to plant a food plot! : )

A great way to introduce youth and others to hunting.

Also, an additional source of revenue to be raised by the DNR.

hoofline.gif

Thank you for the information Randy. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

As many of you know this bill comes up almost every year……………..I can’t believe it hasn’t passed yet?

Iowa is surrounded by states that allow Dove hunting.

hoofline.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Field Service</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would love to see this pass. Great fun and good eating with a peice of bacon and a hot pepper wapped around and grilled over charcoal.....

</div></div>

My brother-in-law brought some up from Texas and cooked them this way, awsome. I would love to see it pass.

iw.l_header.jpg
398ibalogo_1_.gif

news.gif

hoofline.gif

morning_dove1.jpg

Dove hunting bill sponsor: It's unlikely this year
From The Des Moines Register

Dove hunting isn’t likely to be passed into law this session — and that was the case before a well-known animal rights activist came to Iowa to criticize state lawmakers, a key lawmaker said today.

“This is all being generated by a group called Humane Society U.S., this anti-hunting, anti-agriculture group that seems to be bent on stirring up controversy,” said state Sen. Dick Dearden, a Democrat from Des Moines.

Passionate debate has filled the Statehouse in past sessions over the bird. Backers of the hunting season argued that doves are tasty, plentiful and the most popular game bird in America. Opponents said the doves are songbirds, a symbol of peace, and should be left alone. One day in 2000, 200 hunters wearing orange caps filled the gallery of the Iowa House.

Dove hunting has been outlawed since 1918, but proposals to allow it have popped up in the Legislature repeatedly over the years. It passed both chambers for the first time in 2001, but then-Gov. Tom Vilsack vetoed it, adding that it was unfortunate that it consumed so much of lawmaker’s time and effort.

The bill would authorize the state natural resources commission to establish an open season for hunting mourning doves. Today, Michael Markarian, an executive vice president for the Humane Society, is in Des Moines doing interviews with reporters and talk shows, including conservative radio host Jan Mickelson of WHO, to express distaste with the proposal.

Dearden took the microphone in the Iowa Senate to tell fellow senators he’s aware they’re probably getting emails and phone calls now.

Dearden pointed out that the bill, Senate File 25, has barely budged since he introduced it this year at the behest of some hunters. Lawmakers have not moved the bill out of subcommittee, much less out of committee or floor debate by the full Iowa Senate, he pointed out.

“They’ve hired a high-priced lobbyist, this group has, to kill the bill and it hasn’t even come out,” Dearden said. “If anything good this bill’s done, it’s made the anti-hunting people spend their money.”

Democratic leaders last week seemed lukewarm about the dove hunting proposal, saying they have more important issues to tackle this session.

Senate Majority Leader Mike Gronstal wouldn’t rule out the possibility that a dove hunting bill could become law this session.

“I’ve always been a big supporter of dove hunting,” Gronstal said today.

But it’s up to Dearden to craft a bill and move it forward from the committee level, he said.

hoofline.gif

398ibalogo_1_.gif

PM
Ron Wyllie
Southwest Iowa IBA Area Representative
[email protected]

Top Bottom