Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF 255- more OUTFITTER TAGS!!!

Sligh1

Administrator
Staff member
I’ll be there tomorrow to sub committee meeting. Iowa sportsman club & IBA are both going as well to fight against this disaster.
Group of Outfitters got their special interest bill back on table. We will beat it back. They want to start with taking 500 of the 6000 NR tags for themselves to promote outfitting, grow the business & get more paid NR hunters. They want more $ is the bottom line. They will TRY to start with 500. They would LIKE to increase it to an unlimited allotment - the reality is: if they get 500, they will ask for any higher amounts after that (2000, 5000- whatever).
This is taking tags away from NR’s with preference points & giving an advantage to paid outfitting hunters.

We will be there tomorrow & IBA & ISC are out there working hard for you!!!!!! Keeping iowa great against those greedy special interests that always want to exploit it. NOT HAPPENING!

Happy new year. The fights will continue to be here…. The difference is: IBA & ISC full time lobbying & a new army & wall to stop them. Bottom line for u all: it’ll be later in the season and we’ll do emails & let them HEAR US. We will win. It’ll be a battle. We will win & the more/harder we beat them back & the more they see the wall we have- this attack of our resource will dwindle over time.

ON IT!!!

“Skips ramblings” to an individual involved in this process where I was “allowed to speak freely” ;)

I’ll preface this with my experience. I’ve been around outfitters for decades in IL, IA & KS…. They ruin neighborhoods. They churn hunters through & top end the whitetail herd- taking best young animals…. They are a plague & a cancer to an area. Or to the management system. There’s no need for an outfitted whitetail hunt. It’s not like we are hiking in remote Alaska on 50k acres for a moose. These are whitetail on small parcels & these outfitters lock up thousands of acres of it….. so folks can “drive to iowa & pay a big fee to shoot a bigger buck than where I came from”. Simple math…. Pay the big lease check to lock up the land. Run through hunters until you make your money back plus a profit off the resource.

Off top of my head, main issues…. Long winded & typing on phone so take from it what u will..
-outfitters lease up thousands of acres. They displace locals of thousands of acres & churn through paid hunters who prioritize large antlers only.
- if we go to the areas where they have taken hold….Van buren county for example, doe #’s are out of control in those areas. Their clients are there to shoot bucks & the doe population isn’t controlled. Paid hunters have little to no desire to shoot does. They also target the largest antlered animals regardless of age.
-$ & antler size are the 2 goals of outfitting period
- Our #1 issue as a state is Resident access to quality hunting land!!!! Every outfitter will lock down thousands of acres & displace countless residents. & let’s remember - it’s residents controlling the deer #’s!!! Not NR hunters.
-taking from NR pool is unfair, incentivizes a destructive practice that outfitting is, will further degrade access. Will exacerbate our access issues for residents.
-Illinois is perhaps our best example of incentivizing outfitters. It has ended with almost all land being kicked down. It’s all leased or paid to play. The good hunting parcels are now bringing $50+ per acre for leasing. New hunters have no access to private lands unless they pay for it. It’s ruined Illinois’ hunting quality & access.
-there’s zero merit we need to incentivize outfitted hunts. Residents are hemorrhaging access to land. We have less than 8% timber. Resident hunters & voters lose when outfitting takes hold & don’t want them. The only group that does want it is the outfitters themselves as they only care about making $ off of our state owned resource. To the detriment of that resource in & residents of this state.
- if outfitting were reduced- it would free up tens to hundreds of thousands of acres for Resident hunters & better management of the herd.

Previous outfitters who have seen the damage done would gladly help out here & discuss the detriments of outfitting. Those with more experience with it than anyone & know how it degrades the state.

I’ll leave u a few examples…. I have 20-30 contacts who have these folks next to them - absolute train wreck & these resident farmers & land owners would gladly speak on the damage to the area these folks facilitate. Countless list of residents I know happy to chime in!!
***LIST OF OUTFITTERS, HOW MANY ACRES EACH & LINK TO THEIR WEBSITES (***left that out here)

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!! It will start with 500 that’s absolutely uncalled for & no merit to it. As they grow, they will come back & ask for more. These 500 are a HUGE NO!!!!

Went awesome. Thanks to: Steve Hansen who showed up to express his perspective from his vast outfitting experience. Thanks to both the IBA & Iowa sportsman’s club lobbyists for doing an amazing job countering this exploitation.
Good guys (YOU) get a win!
*& on the way out- Vivek said “outfitters are lame & I’m with u to KEEP IOWA GREAT!”
IMG_7883.jpeg
IMG_7884.jpeg
IMG_7885.jpeg
IMG_7887.jpeg

It’ll pass as only 2 had to sign off on it. It has really no chance though. It’s a dumpster fire. Even the sponsor knows it and it wouldn’t shock me if he dropped it. We will win.
Skip was any outfitters present that were supporting this bill??

Went awesome. Thanks to: Steve Hansen who showed up to express his perspective from his vast outfitting experience. Thanks to both the IBA & Iowa sportsman’s club lobbyists for doing an amazing job countering this exploitation.
Good guys (YOU) get a win!
*& on the way out- Vivek said “outfitters are lame & I’m with u to KEEP IOWA GREAT!” View attachment 126840View attachment 126841View attachment 126842View attachment 126843
Thanks skip! Id love to see vivek in the whitehouse too!

Skip was any outfitters present that were supporting this bill??
The senator who sponsored the bill represented their stance & position. Interestingly - the outfitters themselves didn’t show.
I’d suspect being Jan 10…. They located one last buck & tried to get paid by someone to shoot it. Can’t pass that up!
Missed my last night of hunting & a buck tag ate. All good. What a great day.

The senator who sponsored the bill represented their stance & position. Interestingly - the outfitters themselves didn’t show.
I’d suspect being Jan 10…. They located one last buck & tried to get paid by someone to shoot it. Can’t pass that up!
Missed my last night of hunting & a buck tag ate. All good. What a great day.
Thanks for being there. Oh, and I ate my anysex tag too, I prepared it just like I did my 1st season doe tag!

Thank you Skip. Appreciate you taking the time to stay on top of these things. '

How or what organizations can I support/join to support ? (I don't spend much time online so apologize if this is common knowledge here)

Thank you Skip. Appreciate you taking the time to stay on top of these things. '

How or what organizations can I support/join to support ? (I don't spend much time online so apologize if this is common knowledge here)
Action: funds to IBA for their lobbyist & iowa sportsman’s club. Either or both. Link here. Can send in funds easily. All details here. Anyone else- this is the ACTION that will win. This directly goes to the cause. Best $ that’s at work DAILY as we speak. For sure need & appreciate anyone’s help…

Top Bottom