Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF 553

Windlooker

I guess this bill is back?? It allows NR family members to buy a tag, at half the NR price, from a resident land owner. The buyer must hunt on land owned by the resident.

That could get tricky also. Your LO tag is acquired with a specific parcel #. I don’t know if it’s actually written the same for LO’s but the proposal as written appears to say that the NR can only hunt the property that the license was assigned to.
Regardless, we don’t need it.

1.A nonresident may only use a nonresident family member deerhunting license while hunting with a resident who is a family member of the nonresident on the property for which the resident received deerhunting licenses under section 483A.24, subsection2, paragraph“c”

So…. Lemme understand this…. As it is TODAY…. The LO can bring their NR family member hunting gun 1 or gun 2 party hunting & transfer a tag to them. How isn’t that an already existing solution????? These folks can also get a ML tag (ML or bow hunt 3 weeks) every year or every other at worst. + turkey, predator & small game hunt.

They want the DNR officers to sift through who properly identifies as a family member. They want to prioritize people that live in other states: with more deer & habitat - over Resident hunters. At a time when residents are losing access at alarming rates.
There’s already a solution to this “issue” (a non-issue) & they want to put a bill in to create more problems, confusion, reduction in access to allow more people who are not citizens of iowa to hunt here. BRILLIANT.

U think the IBA & ISC are gonna roll over on crazy bills like this??? I think not…..

The way I read it some resident LO have complained to their legislator about the cost of a NR family member coming back to hunt , hence the half priced thing. I think it’s unfair to other NRs. If you’re a NR you pay the going rate.

Then again the NR can buy a doe tag at what amounts to half price and dad can tag the buck. My neighbor does this very thing. I’d say the legislator doesn’t understand the tag rules.

Do these tags come out of the NR draw or in addition to???

Last edited:
The way I read it some resident LO have complained to their legislator about the cost of a NR family member coming back to hunt , hence the half priced thing. I think it’s unfair to other NRs. If you’re a NR you pay the going rate.

Then again the NR can buy a doe tag at what amounts to half price and dad can tag the buck. My neighbor does this very thing. I’d say the legislator doesn’t understand the tag rules.

Do these tags come out of the NR draw or in addition to???
BINGO!!!!!! Doe tag is half the price. Mom & dad can both give u buck tags (I think for $1 or maybe $2 on a LO tag) & u could shoot 2 bucks. Get your cousins, uncles & step brother’s college roommate there for hunting season & they can all give u tags. It’s a Frigin joke. It’s all “me me me me” & “I want my way and I don’t care the impacts of my desires. Or that there’s already hunting I can do TODAY without my stupid bill”.
This is driven by a HANDFUL of NR’s & R’s. My guess…. Single digit amount of people. The legislator that sponsored this likely did it due to being pals with these folks or due to political donations. By definition: they ABSOLUTELY didn't do it as GOOD POLICY or to solve a problem as it already has a solution.
We’ll fight this. It’s a selfish bill with zero justification. They will lose.

Here is a question on the LOT tag in general, maybe even more so for this bill too. When I registered, I only needed to do 1 parcel (and only had one spot to fill in) but was told by the DNR I could hunt all of them. Now realistically, I have 3 other parcels that could get registered? So, for this scenario, nonresidents could register each difference parcel, correct? Just seems like it's a huge slippery slope opening. Even for residents, not sure how that works for people registering more parcels. I have nothing against tenants, but I still think it needs to be Landowner or nothing- easiest way to lock it up. Your name isn't on the deed, ticket.

• Deleted by Central Iowa
Show…
Top Bottom