Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF220 - unused 1st Season Shotgun tags

Status
  • Deleted by N/A

GregBickal

This one I like
http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us/Cool-IC...=82&hbill=SF220
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> SENATE FILE
BY DANIELSON

Passed Senate, Date Passed House, Date
Vote: Ayes Nays Vote: Ayes Nays
Approved

A BILL FOR

1 An Act allowing a resident deer hunter to use a first shotgun
2 season deer hunting license during the second shotgun deer
3 hunting season to fill an unused tag.
4 BE IT ENACTED BY THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF THE STATE OF IOWA:
5 TLSB 1809SS 82
6 av/je/5

PAG LIN

1 1 Section 1. Section 483A.8, subsection 2, Code 2007, is
1 2 amended to read as follows:
1 3 2. The deer hunting license shall be accompanied by a tag
1 4 designed to be used only once. When a deer is taken, the deer
1 5 shall be tagged and the tag shall be dated. If the commission
1 6 establishes a first shotgun deer hunting season and a second
1 7 shotgun deer hunting season, a resident who is issued a deer
1 8 hunting license for the first shotgun deer hunting season and
1 9 does not take a deer during that season may use the deer
1 10 hunting license and unused tag during the second shotgun deer
1 11 hunting season to take either an antlered or antlerless deer.
1 12 EXPLANATION
1 13 This bill allows a resident deer hunter, who is issued a
1 14 deer hunting license for the first shotgun deer hunting season
1 15 and does not take a deer, to use that license and the unused
1 16 tag during the second shotgun deer hunting season to take
1 17 either an antlered or antlerless deer.
1 18 LSB 1809SS 82
1 19 av:nh/je/5
</div></div>

Who would buy a second season tag? Buy a first season tag and hunt both seasons until you shoot a Booner. Not a good idea, IMO.

I'd have to agree with JNR. Sounds very danggerous to have all of the shot gunners out at the same weekend.

It also makes me kinda rething my stance on a doe tag should be good for any season until filled. That would in escence give everybody a party hunting chance at a buck but only pay for the bow any sex at full price and a bow doe tag at what ever the first doe tag cotsts and not have to buy an any sex tag for shotgun. Man I hope that made sense. I just don't want hunters to use a bow doe tag during shot gun to party hunt and kill a buck with out the State getting another 26 dollars for the privilege of killing a buck while party hunting.

The 'Bonker

Very bad idea.
Most landowners around here have groups of hunters that hunt 1st and others who hunt 2nd. Now they want to throw them altogether?That could get ugly.
A lot of these bills wouldn't even come up if legislator would take the time to talk with DNR and even get input from their local hunters.
Some of these bills are coming from legislators who think the DNR doesn't know how to manage the deer herd.Just think how bad things could get if legislators got their hands on that hot potato. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

I'm with you guys on this one....very bad idea. There wouldn't be one resident buying a second season tag...there's no point in it.

I agree, this would open the doors for some poor ethics and such.....

bad idea!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlambert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm with you guys on this one....very bad idea. There wouldn't be one resident buying a second season tag...there's no point in it. </div></div>

I agree, This is going to be bad for everyone all around.

I don't see where you guys are seeing these huge crowds of hunters. All of the public hunting areas I hunted this year I was the only one there, or maybe one or two other people were there on 500+ acres. And that was first season shotgun which statistically is the busiest. It was not dangerous by any means, and in most cases helped me to see more deer than I would by myself.

As for people hunting private land, this shouldn’t even be an issue because the land owner should know how many people are hunting his land and when. It’s their land, they can control who and when they hunt.

In 2006 - 51,312 deer were taken first season shotgun while 29,665 were taken second season. So there is already a majority of the people in the field. So only the unsuccessful hunters would be going back out the second week which should still make that second week have less people.

Maybe there is more competition for public hunting ground in other areas, but why make regulations that hurt those of use in lower density areas.

I bought a muzzy, for the sole purpose of having more time in the field, but I would rather hunt with my shotgun.

For the same reason they hunt second season now. Lower competition. If there is a single 3 week season, week 2 and 3 are going to have less people than week 1.

It would also allow some flexibility when it comes to weather.

I'm trying to steer away from this one, but do have one small comment.

In "most" cases I know of people hunt second for the extra time, not because of competition. Giving them all three season would deter most people from waiting for the later season.

P.S. I like bow hunting! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

that is my off the topic comment of the day!

I have to disagree also Greg, even if your arguement is lower competition if you assume that only half of the 1st season shotgun hunters fill there tag than that puts 52,000 more out ther during the second season to fill there tag with the guys that bought the 2nd season only tag.

Plus the majority of the guys I know that 2nd shotgun do so for 1 of 2 reasons, 1.) time, they want the 2 weekends to hunt and 2.) land access, many guys can't get in because family or whomever has 1st season locked up so they go second because that is basically all they can get access for. Another problem as these guys probably won't be hunting if they make the tags good for both seasons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So only the unsuccessful hunters would be going back out the second week which should still make that second week have less people.
</div></div>

Basically this would create one statewide season... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Everyone would just make sure they have purchased "one extra" doe tag which assures them a chance to hunt both seasons and kill a buck via party hunting. "Bad idea" is putting it mildly... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

Down our way it's already a mad house each weekend and the state land is an absolute zoo! I have to vote no on this one...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As for people hunting private land, this shouldn’t even be an issue because the land owner should know how many people are hunting his land and when. It’s their land, they can control who and when they hunt. I don't see where you guys are seeing these huge crowds of hunters. All of the public hunting areas I hunted this year I was the only one there, or maybe one or two other people were there on 500+ acres. And that was first season shotgun which statistically is the busiest. It was not dangerous by any means, and in most cases helped me to see more deer than I would by myself.</div></div>

Greg,
This is so far from the truth. Someday when you own land you will see what I mean. Some people have no boundaries.

As far as letting people hunt both it will take away from the revenue it will generate and I honestly feel that everyone will hunt first unless they have other committments or until they shoot a booner.

As for not seeing many people this year remember it was a horrible first season I bet that was a lot of the reason for the numbers being out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
As for people hunting private land, this shouldnt even be an issue because the land owner should know how many people are hunting his land and when. Its their land, they can control who and when they hunt.

In 2006 - 51,312 deer were taken first season shotgun while 29,665 were taken second season. So there is already a high number of people in the field. So only the unsuccessful hunters would be going back out the second week which should still make that second week have less people.
</div></div>

As far as people hunting private lands and the land owner knowing who is on it, I only have 11 acres and I have "hunters" walking though me every year. Nobody has permission and I'm still supposed to know who is hunting it? Not realistic, even for my 11 acers of heaven. Now mutliply that by 10 or 20 fold. How can anybody know who is on their land?

As far as only unsucessful hunters going back out, well that may be true beacuse they bought umpteen and 2 doe only bow tags and have killed umpteen deer in the first week but still have two tags to fill so they are "Unsuccesful" becasue they still have two party hunting buck tags left.

It has been a few years since I have party hunted. The group I was in always went first season and there was another group that hunted the same part of the county second season. So my basis is expereince in knowing there would be 50-60 guys (25-30 in each group) hunting the same ground. I quit going because 25-30 was nuts no matter how coordinated you tried to be and double that with two groups that don't communicate and coordinate? That my friend is a situation where somebody is gonna die.

Maybe the public ground you were on doesn't get much pressure but folks I know that live next to some public Corp ground in Johnson County say they hear shot after shot after shot. This may be the exeption, I don't have any stats to back it up.

I think there are plenty of exceptions for hunting in lower density areas. The bottom two tiers of counties have a high power season because of the low human population and high deer population. I don't think we need anymore. Last thing I want is a .308 hole in my wall to match all the .22 holes I already have there. Damn possums anyway.

The 'Bonker

Im afraid you are making lots of inaccurate assumptions with very limited experience. because you happen to be on a piece of public land a few times and didnt see many other hunters, doesnt mean they are not there when you are not. that Also doesnt mean other pieces of public land arent getting POUNDED buy large groups.

It is legal to party hunt in Iowa, and that is most likely never changing. additioinal doe tags are legal to use for party hunting. so any Joe-Blow can shoot as many bucks as his party has any sex tags for. that of which i think gets abused from time to time.....

if you open 2nd season shot gun to the 1st season hunters who didnt fill their tags, Iowa's timbers would be VERY DANGEROUS. not to mention, the second season any sex tags would be occasoinally getting filled by 1st season "carry-overs" who already shot a buck or two. not fair to the guys who ALWAYS hunt second seaon.

i think after a few years of hunting and as you build your knowledge of deer and hunting, your opinions will change as you learn more about this particular species.

the easy way is definately not the best way!
having 1st season tags roll over to second season as antlerless tags, but still legal for party hunting, is the easy way, and most certianally wrong!

the way the state currently manages deer, i feel is very adequate and why we have one of the most coveted NR tags in the nation. i just hope they dont chage things to drastically, thus negatively affecting the currently successful system!!

the bottom line is very simple. Iowa's shotgun seasons are broken into two seasons to prevent an overflow of hunters as it surly would be if all hunters of both seasons were out at the same time. Saftey is one major concern as well as managment! it is the way it is for a good reason!

dbltree said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bad idea" is putting it mildly... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif</div></div>

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom