Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

SF220 - unused 1st Season Shotgun tags

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For the same reason they hunt second season now. Lower competition. If there is a single 3 week season, week 2 and 3 are going to have less people than week 1.

It would also allow some flexibility when it comes to weather. </div></div>

Greg...
Again..as I said to you a few weeks ago...just sit back and see how things work in Iowa for a while and you'll finally understand why they are done the way they are. You have a muzzy now, why do you need all the extra time during shotgun season?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im afraid you are making lots of inaccurate assumptions with very limited experience. because you happen to be on a piece of public land a few times and didnt see many other hunters, doesnt mean they are not there when you are not. that Also doesnt mean other pieces of public land arent getting POUNDED buy large groups.

It is legal to party hunt in Iowa, and that is most likely never changing. additioinal doe tags are legal to use for party hunting. so any Joe-Blow can shoot as many bucks as his party has any sex tags for. that of which i think gets abused from time to time.....

if you open 2nd season shot gun to the 1st season hunters who didnt fill their tags, Iowa's timbers would be VERY DANGEROUS. not to mention, the second season any sex tags would be occasoinally getting filled by 1st season "carry-overs" who already shot a buck or two. not fair to the guys who ALWAYS hunt second seaon.

i think after a few years of hunting and as you build your knowledge of deer and hunting, your opinions will change as you learn more about this particular species.

the easy way is definately not the best way!
having 1st season tags roll over to second season as antlerless tags, but still legal for party hunting, is the easy way, and most certianally wrong!

the way the state currently manages deer, i feel is very adequate and why we have one of the most coveted NR tags in the nation. i just hope they dont chage things to drastically, thus negatively affecting the currently successful system!!

the bottom line is very simple. Iowa's shotgun seasons are broken into two seasons to prevent an overflow of hunters as it surly would be if all hunters of both seasons were out at the same time. Saftey is one major concern as well as managment! it is the way it is for a good reason! </div></div>

That was spot on...nicely put.

Greg, get a beer, feed your Koi and relax. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Anyone who has hunted either of the Iowa shotgun seasons for multiple years would know immediately that this is an idiotic idea. A whole host of problems would arise.

Sorry about that guys, this 40 year old rookie will go crawl back in his hole now /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

Muzzy next year, and Dad just bought a new Bow, so yep... Lots of time. I'll make sure I buy plenty of doe tags so I can hunt the most seasons allowable.

Having fired my Muzzy several times now, I have to say, I prefer the 12 gauge, specially since I switched to the new Remmington 1875fps slugs /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Some deer steak, Root Beer, and sit in my koi house and feed the fish is exactly what I need right now /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry about that guys, this 40 year old rookie will go crawl back in his hole now </div></div>

Please don't. You stated your opinion and that is what this site is for. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Limb Chicken</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry about that guys, this 40 year old rookie will go crawl back in his hole now </div></div>

Please don't. You stated your opinion and that is what this site is for. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif </div></div>

I couldn't agree more with Limb. Good civil discussions are useful for learning and seeing things you might not be aware of.
The more view points the better. Eveyone can learn something from them.

Greg, at least you're civil about your opinions, which is highly respected in my book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greg, at least you're civil about your opinions, which is highly respected in my book.

</div></div>

YUP YUP!

Its a complicated hobby to be sure. Like the old axium,

"You can make SOME of the people happy ALL of the time, and
you can make ALL of the people happy SOME of the time, but
you can NEVER make ALL of the people happy ALL of the time."

I may end up hunting Southern Iowa more, as I had great success there so far.

Maybe its the turning 40 this year, mid-life crisis and all, but you start to realize how short life really is and how many years you have left. Now that I am back to hunting again, I want every second of it I can get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I may end up hunting Southern Iowa more, as I had great success there so far. </div></div>

Greg,
There are no deer in Northern Iowa anyway.
You would be just wasting your time. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Greg, at least you're civil about your opinions, which is highly respected in my book.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please don't. You stated your opinion and that is what this site is for.</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Greg, at least you're civil about your opinions, which is highly respected in my book.</div></div>

hoofline.gif

I agree with Limb and muddy, civil opinions on a subject are always welcome. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

hoofline.gif

<span style="color: #000099">Would you like more information about becoming an iowawhitetail PMA or Life Member? &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; </span>Details Here!<span style="color: #000099">&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a complicated hobby to be sure. Like the old axium,

Maybe its the turning 40 this year, mid-life crisis and all, but you start to realize how short life really is and how many years you have left. Now that I am back to hunting again, I want every second of it I can get. </div></div>

Plenty of time and deer to hunt, look at it this way, grab a bow and start shooting now and you will be ready to go for next season, 4 or 5 bow tags that gives you all of Oct. and Nov. to hunt, add in a second season shotgun antlerless tag , that gives you well 8 days or so in the first 15 of Dec., then add in a late muzzy tag and another antlerless tag or two, that will give you from about Dec. 17/18- Mid Jan. to hunt plus a couple late season antlerless only tags and you can hunt all but about 5 days of the deer season in IA. Play your cards right and you can have the opprotunity to be in the woods everyday from Oct. 1st to almost Feb. and can have a whole pile of deer down. Sounds like you have some good ground to hunt and if it is that unpressured during gun season I would definitely be looking into it for other seasons.

Kratz

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkratz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GregBickal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Its a complicated hobby to be sure. Like the old axium,

Maybe its the turning 40 this year, mid-life crisis and all, but you start to realize how short life really is and how many years you have left. Now that I am back to hunting again, I want every second of it I can get. </div></div>

Plenty of time and deer to hunt, look at it this way, grab a bow and start shooting now and you will be ready to go for next season, 4 or 5 bow tags that gives you all of Oct. and Nov. to hunt, add in a second season shotgun antlerless tag , that gives you well 8 days or so in the first 15 of Dec., then add in a late muzzy tag and another antlerless tag or two, that will give you from about Dec. 17/18- Mid Jan. to hunt plus a couple late season antlerless only tags and you can hunt all but about 5 days of the deer season in IA. Play your cards right and you can have the opprotunity to be in the woods everyday from Oct. 1st to almost Feb. and can have a whole pile of deer down. Sounds like you have some good ground to hunt and if it is that unpressured during gun season I would definitely be looking into it for other seasons.

Kratz </div></div>

Greg,
You think your wife is not happy now. Get used to it buddy.
I right now the biggest window in my bedroom. (Right next to the couch). /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
Good thing this is the last weekend.

Why dont we open gun season up from oct 1st thru Feb 1st. Buy one tag thats good for as many deer as you want.
This is based on the fact that I was out behind the house the other day and low and behold I ran accross a deer track. Clearly there are way to many deer left.

Sorry for the sarcasim.
All the extra seasons and time to hunt is great, but there comes a point when enough is enough. All it is doing is creating areas of too many deer and basically no deer. You may think Im kidding, but the fact is in the last 5 years the population in my section has dwindled to almost nothing. While other areas of Monroe county are seeing deer numbers increase.

Personally, I think Iowa is in a downward slide and something needs to be done to protect what we have.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You may think Im kidding, but the fact is in the last 5 years the population in my section has dwindled to almost nothing. While other areas of Monroe county are seeing deer numbers increase.
</div></div>

It all comes down to access. Where there is access to hunt, the DNR's plan is effective or overly effective. The limited access areas with little or no herd management are screwing the majority of hunters in the long run. Welcome to the future of Iowa!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Maybe its the turning 40 this year, mid-life crisis and all, but you start to realize how short life really is and how many years you have left. Now that I am back to hunting again, I want every second of it I can get.
</div></div>

Just remember to grab a hold of life Greg...hunting is only part of it.. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

Some of us have been doing this for a lifetime and seen a lot of changes in that time (I wish I was just turning 40...then I wouldn't have seen so many changes... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif )

We don't always care for change...me especially...and that's why discussions on here are important. Sometimes that opens our eyes to what we may be too blind to see or difficulties that someone else is having in their area.

What happens here in SE Iowa is entirely different then in NW Iowa perhaps. When others post what they see...it opens my eyes to a part of Iowa I never see. It also makes me count my blessings....... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and opinions in a respectful manner.

Greg,
My sarcasim wasnt directed at you by any means and Im sorry if it came off that way. Im just fed up with the constant TOO MANY DEER arguments.

I think the new slogan for the iowa dnr should be
"Deer management one shed buck at a time"

Status
  • Deleted by N/A
Top Bottom