Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Sharpening Expandables?

loneranger

What is best way,,if any to sharpen Expandables,,like those found on Meat Seekers/Piston Pts? I asked the KME website, and they daid the blades were too narrow for their devices. I assume, the best device would be a small hand held sharpener. Anyone have experiences with them? Thanks for advice.

IMO, the best way to sharpen expandables are to throw them away and purchase the replacement blades. I hate to do it myself, but really after shooting them into anything other than butter you take a pretty good chance on bending them and nicking them up beyond repair. The majority of them are "use and discard". They're not designed for lasting durability, only single use destruction. :way:

IMO, the best way to sharpen expandables are to throw them away and purchase the replacement blades. I hate to do it myself, but really after shooting them into anything other than butter you take a pretty good chance on bending them and nicking them up beyond repair. The majority of them are "use and discard". They're not designed for lasting durability, only single use destruction. :way:

Sound advice. I replace the blades on my expandables maybe once or twice and then do a spin test on the tip to see if the ferule is bent. If so, garbage. If you're wanting to save money and start resharpening blades get a good quality fixed blade like a Wensel Woodsman, Steelforce, or Montec. These have thicker blades and can take the years of destruction.

I would agree with the others. I am not familiar with the heads your talking about, but I shoot the Rage heads and tried sharpening the blades, found I could replace them all for $20. That was well worth it consideriding the time it would take to sharpen them. Faster to just swap em out and I know they a razor sharp now. Just my $.02.

I would agree with the others. I am not familiar with the heads your talking about, but I shoot the Rage heads and tried sharpening the blades, found I could replace them all for $20. That was well worth it consideriding the time it would take to sharpen them. Faster to just swap em out and I know they a razor sharp now. Just my $.02.
I agree. I sharpened my first one through a deer and after shooting it through another I noticed that the blades aren't really meant for it. I killed both deer, but the second pass through tore the blades up badly. I recommend replacing the blades or just buying new, especially on Rage. My old NAP Spitfires still seem to hold up after shooting multiple deer, but I've had some issues with them so switched to Rage.

Top Bottom