Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shed Buck Competition!! Get em!

why do you continue to speculate??????
you got opinions, we all KNOW that....
just remember, thats all they are....
give it a rest....

If you guys want to worry about something that will actually impact the buck herd/deer hunting opportunities then you all better start looking into the Non-Resident Any Sex tag issue and the Non-Resident Landowner issues.
A new administration is waiting in the wings, we all better be getting our ducks in a row to help preserve the excellent hunting opportunities we have now.
If they are able to jack up the Non-res tags by 6,000 and allow unlimited Non-Resident Landowner tags, what will be the consequences? A much more significant impact then shed bucks being killed, that is for sure.

i agree this is about population control,i dont like them eating my crops any more then the next guy.but does this late shed buck season have to be 21 days long it trumps all others other then bow season.

deer is a deer, the sky is falling,even the dnr puts the big buck first.if i called about a doe being poached they would show up the next day.if i called about a 200 poached they would be on my doorstep in 20 min.

if i poached 200-$10000 in fines dnr doing hy fives

if i shot 200 shed buck-worthless

if i shot 200 during reg season with gear attached-priceless

on one foot the dnr will do all they can to protect,then on the next,they could care less???

the IBA is having there board meeting on jan 16 at the west chariton in des moines,Tom Litchfield will be there at 1 i was going to take the box full of sheds i have picked up,just to let him know that some deer do really shed early.

looks like the nov season getting canned but the late shed buck season is here to stay,it will be contolled by license numbers per county.

why do you continue to speculate??????
you got opinions, we all KNOW that....
just remember, thats all they are....
give it a rest....

Whoa!? Huh!? U need to re-read many of the posts, there's a whole lot of facts, statistics, true stories, results after 4 years and other's experiences. Opinions- yep, some of those TOO but surely this last post is not accurate.

facts? not really.... just strong opinions. Take the emotion out of your posts and there is little 'meat'

Im getting tired of your Campaign to influence anyone who reads this....

if the season was really damaging our herd, the Iowa DNR would have ceased to pursue it a long time ago.

I'm not the only one who has confronted your ranting. Those that have DID present actual facts i.e. Randy. and you chose to say 'your facts' are the correct ones...

you're making this a far bigger deal than it is.... and I know I am not alone, but I'm tired of it. Sure I can just not open the thread, but I don't like how you are trying to influence everyone... based on your 'experience'

maybe go start a petition or something and take some actions that support your prerogative rather than just ranting and raving..... the sky is not falling and there will be deer to hunt next year.... for all of us.

as I have said before, I would love to see the season ended, BUT more deer will be born in May, there are still MANY hot pockets of dense populations....

long posts filled with passion and emotion do NOT prove your argument...

I'm sick of it and as I said, Im not alone

Last edited:
If you guys want to worry about something that will actually impact the buck herd/deer hunting opportunities then you all better start looking into the Non-Resident Any Sex tag issue and the Non-Resident Landowner issues.
A new administration is waiting in the wings, we all better be getting our ducks in a row to help preserve the excellent hunting opportunities we have now.
If they are able to jack up the Non-res tags by 6,000 and allow unlimited Non-Resident Landowner tags, what will be the consequences? A much more significant impact then shed bucks being killed, that is for sure.

I have to agree here guys.

First things first.

NR

I just received an e-mail from the person that is hunting my farm this year in Iowa. He was not around during the shotgun season. He came back and found boot tracks, tire tracks, trash in his ground blind, blood 20 yards in from of his ground blind. In his exact words "trespassers were all over your farm during the shotgun season".

It doesn't appear to me that as a NR landowner, that it is restricting the use of my property. They still use it without permission. I hear this every year. My farm does not appear to off-limits to anyone?

THA4 just wondering where you are located,i am located in the southern 2 tier county Rifle zone, 21 days of long range rifle bombing by most.if you are not in the southern 2 counties you are not seeing what i am seeing!!

picture.php

Tha4- think ur taking this a bit too personally- maybe time to relax tonight and sit and watch the tube :). Good debate in my mind is always great, sorry u don't like good debate, opinion along with facts and statistics.
Hey, if u don't think this season is hurting things and has anything to do with poor #'s and poor mature buck sightings - we can just disagree with that. With all I've said- we can have different opinions- some will agree with u and some agree with me- is this ok??? I know u never post things with differing opinions or debate but hopefully u allow me to. Can't find anything I've said that I see as offensive but sorry if I did. Maybe re-read what I've posted.
You support the season, I don't. Not a big deal.

haha
not taking anything personally - I got far better things to do with my time.

for your information (better go back and re-read MY posts) I do NOT support the season, I just don't choose to load up on the emotion and rant away.

I guess I just think you're full of it.

haha
not taking anything personally - I got far better things to do with my time.

for your information (better go back and re-read MY posts) I do NOT support the season, I just don't choose to load up on the emotion and rant away.

I guess I just think you're full of it.
How many of your 8,772 post have substance?

180Class I do not think you know what your talking about. Why shoot a big buck with no rack? The meat is worse than doe meat and to controll population you shoot does as well. Most people like to shoot an anterlered buck for a sense of self accomplishment and use the antlers for memorbilia on board mounts head mounts or skull mounts. What are you going to keep off a shed buck to prove you killed one of the most elusive creatures in the woods? his ears? his teeth? tail? I think you get my point no matter the size or age of a buck he should be killed with his rack intact.

January seasons need to go the extra doe tags for countys with population control can be bought during bow and shotgun seasons.

I am full of it - u r correct. I guess a lot of things I thought werw facts are now OPINIONS and I'm full of it.
My OPINION that 61 shed bucks from Clayton co have been entered into the system - I'm full of it
My OPINION that southern ia is full of rifle hunters lobbing 200 yard shots at deer that didn't identify- I'm full of it
My OPINION that 20% of antlerless harvest is comprised of button bucks from harvest report is wrong- I'm full of it.
My OPINION that large groups of guys r seeing far less deer, bucks and mature bucks is not true. My claim that many think it has to do with this season is not true- I'm full of it
O
OK you're right- u got me.
Let's open deer season year round until our goals r achieved. Ok? I happen to ? Government and its motives in many cases- just like this. Is there something else to it?? $, insurance companies, lobbyists. Sorry for thinking that way. Let's let gov run with things, never ? them or ask for change. Except let's ask for year round rifle hunting- that won't make the sky fall. :)

glad you can see that, now we're making ground

why don't you go start a petition or something
:drink2:

if the season was really damaging our herd, the Iowa DNR would have ceased to pursue it a long time ago.

Thats just funny right there, you must of secured a position on Branstad's staff to say something like that. Why are you sick of this post? Because people are actually discussing something that has to do with deer and not all the other stuff put on here? That is what I am sick of. The season is a real problem. No the sky wont fall if we keep it but the quality of the states deer hunting will. I enjoy the things Skip puts on here (regardless if I agree with it) because it is well thought out and actually has to do with deer hunting.

large groups of guys r seeing far less deer, bucks and mature bucks

I love this post, I love debate, I love heated discussion. I am obviously an outsider with no knowledge of IA except what I read here but have to think that 3 buck tags for a resident is likely more responsible for the lack of mature buck sightings than the casualties of what may indeed be a silly season as may what seems like almost endless doe opportunities.

I personally think any deer hunitng in January isn't great for the deer but hey maybe I'm just saying that b/c ours ended over a month ago and this time of yr would be absolutely pitifully easy to kill deer and I've never been lucky enough to hunt over a rocking food source in January. What I do know is that we have a 5 week rifle season smack dab through the whole rut but despite that insanity our bucks numbers seem very strong. I think being able to take one, regardless of weapon, has more to do with buck numbers than the lack of a season for antlerless deer this time of yr.

THA4 just to give you a little heads up in southern iowa,went to the meat locker out of 14 deer on the floor 3 shed bucks 4 button bucks rest does.one shed buck even had a bow tag on it with rifle shot to head.i thought about calling dnr,but then i thought its just a LOUSY SHED BUCK.i do not trust the computer call in system either, any one can say they shot a doe, after all it is, it just doesnt the have the plumbing!!!

Top Bottom