Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shedding Early

tmule888

Has anyone else noticed bucks dropping their horns already? I have 2 mature deer that I was going to target in late muzzy that have shed 1 side and several other younger deer. This is across multiple farms in multiple county's. Anyone else seeing this? What causes this to happen?

Stress can cause a buck to shed early. Perhaps the deer was wounded?? I have seen that before.

Otherwise, I have to imagine that the widespread, persistent drought could be a factor. I think most would agree that antler size did not "jump" this year in many, many cases, indicating that something is holding them back. It also could be that a given buck contracted a non-fatal case of EHD, I would think that would be out there too, with such a widespread EHD outbreak.

Meanwhile, I have found fresh sheds in years gone by while hunting the shotgun season(s), so it happens. Another time I was with a friend when he shot a buck on Christmas morning and when we grabbed his antlers to pull him towards the truck they both came off in our hands, so he had to have been pretty close to shedding naturally.

I've got a couple small ones on camera like this one, just this morning. Can't tell if its shed or broke off.

1702572868905.png

I just got back from checking cams. 2 basket 1/2 racks otherwise everything else still has both sides. Just having those 2 doesn't seem too abnormal.

Our nicest buck shed last year on December 15. We thought there might be something wrong with him. This year he shed on December 13. So he must just shed early.
Last years picture and this years

Attachments

• T_00004drop10.JPG
    T_00004drop10.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 44
  • 10 (4).jpeg
    10 (4).jpeg
    33.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Yep, I found a heavy matched set on the 10th, had another mature half rack on cam on the 7th. Two different farms, 2 hrs apart.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom