Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shells for youth

BOWSTRING

I'm taking my son out tonight. Just wondered about your thought on shells to use. He shot one 3" turkey load last year and didn't like it. So I switch to a duck/pheasant load. Just wondering if this will be enough to take down a turkey. Won't be shooting over 20 yards And the pattern is nice and tight.

Thanks

20 or 12 gauge? At 20 yards, it should be fine as long as you're shooting 5's or 6's. My son is shooting some 3" turkey loads in 20 gauge and they hold a nice pattern out to about 35 yards or so. Good luck!!

NWBuck

They will be fine as long as you have a good pattern. All the youth I took, I patterned the gun myself with 3inch loads to see the effective range then I had them practice with much less recoil loads. I then would make the switch in the field. They don't notice :)

It's a 20ga. I thought about doing the switch but I don't want to make him gun shy. That 3 incher rolled him back in the blind last year. Which was my fault cause of his stance but he wouldn't shoot again. He's 11 this year.
Just wanted to make sure they would take one down thanks again.

Daughter shot one this morning with a 20 ga. 2 3/4", 1 oz. load. #5 shot.

We were having the same problem but these really helped. I also went to a modified

choke tube. My boy whom is six also was shooting these and loved them. We do not

take over 20 yard shots and they worked nice.

Congrats to your daughter!! He's shooting a undertaker turkey choke with #6 shot. It patterns really good I think I'm going to use it 4th season cause my Berretta patterns like crud.

I never have my kids shoot the heavy 3" turkey loads until they are actually shooting a turkey. I pattern the gun first and they practice with a light target load. They have shot several turkeys and both say that they don't even remember the recoil when they shot their turkeys with the heavy load.

My kids shoot a Mossberg 500 20 guage youth model. The load that patterned best out of this gun was a Remington 20 guauge Premium Magnum Turkey Load in the 3".

Good luck!

Top Bottom