Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shining

Scott

I am formerly from Michigan and just moved to Iowa a month ago. What are the laws on shining deer here. Im talking about just scouting with no weapon in the vehicle. In Michigan you can shine before 11:00pm with the exception of November where its illegal. Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on this subject.

I think it's legal to spotlight anytime, anywhere but...You better not have any weapons in the vehicle...guns,bows,knives etc. You will however draw skeptical attention to yourself. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. People in Iowa just aren't that fond of spotlighting.
Pupster

I think pupster is correct on this subject, legal as long as there are NO weapons in your vechicle. And I must tell you, be prepared to have some less than happy farmers chase you down to see what the heck you are up to. You may be able to obtain permission from a farmer to shine on his property, but I would not do it without asking first! As for me, I would in NO way want the title in my hunting area as a "shiner", good way to get those private properties one likes so well to hunt closed to you. Just another opinion..........

A year or two ago, in Clarke County, my B-I-L called both DNR and the Sherrif about a spot lighter, the DNR and the Sherrif had already had calls about it, that same night. Never did hear if they nabbed anybody. It has only gotten worse with meth cookers ripping off NH3. I would't spot light, even if it is legal, given the general attitude of us country dwellers.

The 'Bonker

Scott, go ahead and shine all you want. I have used the technique legally for many years. It is a good way to find what bucks are in the area. As long as you are not poaching and the law says it is legal, you are doing nothing wrong. Heck with the farmers, it is not a problem. You might wake up some cattle. Never has a farmer ever approached me about it being a problem. They don't own the deer or the darkness, so have at it. Wear a glove, it can get cold out there while running a light.

Top Bottom