Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shoot or not to shoot?

BowHunt'nFool

Hi I have a question about a couple of bucks I have been seeing this year on a property that I hunt. I have been seeing 2 different 6 pointers, one is probably 2 1/2 and the other is at least 3 1/2 . I could have shot the smaller one several times but was looking for something bigger, but now im thinking I might shoot one of them with the muzzle loader if I get the chance just to get them out of the herd. I dont think the bigger one is ever going to be anything more than a 6 point but Im not sure if the yonger one could grow some more points given another year? I think I would shoot the big one but what would you do with the smaller one given the opportunity?
smaller one
408Trail_camera_Oxford_2005_279-med.jpg

bigger one
408Trail_camera_Oxford_2005_254-med.jpg

another of the bigger one
408Trail_camera_Oxford_2005_275-med.jpg

I've been re-thinking my view on six pointers after I saw the massive matched set of six point sheds that Arrowsmith showed up with at the 2005 IW Shed Gathering. Remember that pair, Shovelbuck?!
shocked.gif

A P.O.S. seven pointer turned into a friggin giant on Kisky's Extreme 3 I think. Mid 170's I think. I'd let them keep walking, the big jumps for each of them are around the corner.

I agree with Muddy, let them both go. I'd love to shoot a 150 class 6 pointer and if you let that bigger one go he might make it in a few years.

This is what I go by and stick to at all times.

"Don't shoot something in Nov/Dec that you wouldn't have shot in Sept/Oct."

"Don't shoot something on the last day of a hunt you wouldn't have shot on the 1st day."

I know those two might be old and way over used, but both are somewhat true. Both of those 6's might not grow extra points or they might, but it sure would be interested to see what they would be sporting for head gear as 4 1/2's or 5 1/2's.

I wouldn't shoot it if you want bad genetics in your area
grin.gif
The main reason I wouldn't shoot it is because it wouldn't score worth a crap, but if it walked by on the last day I would take him out. I shot a 124 inch 6 point a few years back, older than hell and a total piece of trash in the gene pool
crazy.gif

I guess I would be going against the grain here but I would get them out of the gene pool if it was me. No question.

I dont think that the bigger deer will ever be a scoring machine. That will have to be your call. I would personally take him but the other deer I would let him go. I think there is a chance he could surprize you in years to come. That is if you feel that they will make it. Once again that is your call.

I agree with Xtec. Not about his bow choice, (xtec)
grin.gif
but about his comments here. If given the chance I would've taken him out before he had the chance to spread his love juices all over. Also, I have never and will never consider what a deer will score before I shoot him. It's either, will he hang on my wall or wont he
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
A P.O.S. seven pointer turned into a friggin giant on Kisky's Extreme 3 I think. Mid 170's I think. I'd let them keep walking, the big jumps for each of them are around the corner.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm with muddy on this one, I would personally let them walk and see what comes of them in the next year or two they are just at the stages when they will either grow big or won't.
waytogo.gif

Top Bottom