Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

shoot or not to shoot

Depends on the situation! We took a half rack off my property this year that was a one his second year of being a half rack! He had an injury that was causing him to not grow one side.

Now He could have still be breeding fine, but I am sure that due to injury he probably wasn't breeding as much, so I elected that he was a deer to take out!

He had a nice body, and tastes DAMN good as I eat him!
He was also my wife's first buck and we are having a european mount done of the head!!

And to answer the question some of you may be thinking, yes, I would have shot him had I gotten the opportunity as well!! there were far better genetics in the timber that are still there because we harvested him!

A shed buck is different, but if you are watching your deer, you should have an idea of whether a buck is a shed or a true half rack! Because those are completely different issues!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me that depends on the specific deer.....
if i know i will get to hunt the area the following year, and the buck had shed its antlers, id pass him,
however, if it was a genetic half rack, and his one side was gi-normous id put one in him......

but if it was the last day, i still had a tag in my pocket and the future of my permission was in limbo....id think real hard about shooting him...... </div></div>

You'd kill anything! who do you think your kidding on here? have you ever taken a mature whitetail? I think not!

Leadhead,

I think you need to leave this site and come back after you grow up and your nuts drop.

Totally uncalled for bashing on this site and I hope you get kicked off for it.

I had this happen to me two years ago. Had 8 points on the one side and I passed on him. Picked up the sheds that spring and had 6 on the other side. My brother ended up shooting him that following year with 17 points so it paid off not shooting him. I dont think that I would get anything outta shooting a buck with only 1 side, but thats just me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: leadhead</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me that depends on the specific deer.....
if i know i will get to hunt the area the following year, and the buck had shed its antlers, id pass him,
however, if it was a genetic half rack, and his one side was gi-normous id put one in him......

but if it was the last day, i still had a tag in my pocket and the future of my permission was in limbo....id think real hard about shooting him...... </div></div>

You'd kill anything! who do you think your kidding on here? have you ever taken a mature whitetail? I think not! </div></div>

Seriously?? Who the heck do you think you are? Come onto this site and blast a great member! I agree with the people above who suggested you relocate! From whatI am noticing all of you posts have to do with attempting to bash THA4! Your comments are not needed or cared for! If you are so proud of who you are and what you do then why don't you spend your typing time to help all of us reach your status! I am sure you are the best of the best, and some of us are here to learn and have fun! Your comments aren't even funny!

Obviously you have some kind of Grudge againstTHA$, so please take it somewhere else!!

2 years ago Rick came into the blind to videotape. I had a half rack 8 come by. as I was about to hit anchor my friend leaned forward and his knee hit the floor.

the deer turned inside out getting out of there. Rick looked at me and said "OOPS !!!"

All I could do was laugh. After thinking about it I was glad I didn't get the shot. The half that was gone looked like it was broken off.

The next year I saw the buck again from my van. he was in the field south of the farm and was a half rack again.

This year I saw him twice and got some good pictures of him and watched another 8 kick the $%#* out of him and take the doe.

110107_8710.jpg

110107_8720.jpg

110807_9075bw.jpg

110807_9080bw.jpg

110807_9082bw.jpg

notice the colored picture The buck has a point off the rack pointing to the side, the one in the fight doesnt have that and one of the points coming off the other side is missing. He must have been doing allot of fighting in 8 days.

As big as he is bodywise, I figures no other deer would mess with him, but the 8 that whooped up on him was just as big. I was sitting in the van when I took the pictures of the fight.

Jack

can we give this guy POST-ER of the YEAR status? i love your post man. and i think that buck is the heaviest buck ive ever seen. i think id shoot him to get him out of the herd. but then again he has alot of character and id kinda like to see him next year! i love the pictures!!!! makes me want to invest in a nice camera!

And for some reason when i look at those 2 bucks it looks like they are related

Well...I shot one during shotgun season this year and glad I did, I didnt know he was missing his left side till I saw him on the ground.

Come to find out he had broke his skull cap on the left side and around the left side was oozing green puss and he was bald from about 4 inched back to 4 inched in from of the antlers. The right side and his neck looked like he had the mainge (Spelling)He looked like he had a summer coat on. And he absolutely smelled horrible.

So after seeing this and the deer most likely would of died from infection of some sort... I guess you just never know unless you put them on the ground.

I was upset that it happened but glad I did it after I seen what had happend

For two years now we've had a ten pointer with his rack broken from fighting. He'd score around 150 to 160. Even hunting him in early Oct. the right side was broken the 1st year and the left this year. We have said each year if he's broken again that we'd shoot him and mount him turning his head. But I know we wont! There's always next year.

dont shoot... what will you do with the deer? put his rack in a box? he is an amazing deer but he will be even bigger next year with both sides!

No, no i meant we would'nt shoot him unless he had both sides. We dont put racks in a box, i have all of mine right down to the first basket 8 pointer i ever shot on a wall in the house somewhere.

Top Bottom