Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shooter Buck?

MartinMan

Well, got this guy on trail camera. What do you guys think he scores? I "think" he is showing 13 points. What do you think? Guess 158.

Oh, if I see him Saturday or Sunday or any day after, he will have an arrow thru him. Only time I have him on camera. I haven't checked in a week plus tho.

utf-8Bc2hvb3RlcjEuanBn.jpg

utf-8Bc2hvb3RlcmhlYWQuanBn.jpg

Last edited:
The $50 Tasco did OK, eh? If anybody wants bigger pics I will do my best. This is my first pic post, let alone first thread.

He'll make 150"s..... but it would be a shame to kill that deer IMO. He's a pup, and could truly be a slob one day. I wouldn't even pick my bow up if I saw him coming. Just look the other way :grin:

Got some interesting junk going on there. Pretty neat rack. Won't score very well as a typical (too many deductions). but on a deer like that, who cares about score, SWEET rack! And I would agree with Teenage Hunter, he's got 14 pts. One more edit, Dedgeez has got it right. This is a young deer, if you can bear to watch him pass, he's gonna be a monster in a couple of years.

Last edited:
He'll make 150"s..... but it would be a shame to kill that deer IMO. He's a pup, and could truly be a slob one day. I wouldn't even pick my bow up if I saw him coming. Just look the other way :grin:

Easy to say, not so much to do. He won't last till opener shotgun season. Pretty heavy pressure in that area.

Easy to say, not so much to do. He won't last till opener shotgun season. Pretty heavy pressure in that area.

That's a terrible attitude to have. If you shoot him, he definitely won't make it! There is heavy pressure alot of places in Iowa and you would be amazed at how many bucks "last". If it would truly make you happy to shoot him, than by all means, have at it, but I hate when people say "I might as well shoot him or someone else will". That is simply not true in a lot of cases. I have a ton of bucks that I have had on camera going on 3 years now that have made it. I passed a 3 year old 140's 12 point with a 9 inch drop last year on Thanksgiving morning that I had video and pics of and I knew immediately which deer it was coming through that morning. It's not nearly as hard as you think! Just have to be mentally prepared to do it. All I'm getting at is most guys would love to kill a 190 plus deer and that deer has all the potential to get there and than some :way:

That's a terrible attitude to have. If you shoot him, he definitely won't make it! There is heavy pressure alot of places in Iowa and you would be amazed at how many bucks "last". If it would truly make you happy to shoot him, than by all means, have at it, but I hate when people say "I might as well shoot him or someone else will". That is simply not true in a lot of cases. I have a ton of bucks that I have had on camera going on 3 years now that have made it. I passed a 3 year old 140's 12 point with a 9 inch drop last year on Thanksgiving morning that I had video and pics of and I knew immediately which deer it was coming through that morning. It's not nearly as hard as you think! Just have to be mentally prepared to do it. All I'm getting at is most guys would love to kill a 190 plus deer and that deer has all the potential to get there and than some :way:

Agree 100%! Yeah, if you pass him, someone else MIGHT shoot him, but again he MIGHT make it another year. But I GUARANTEE you he will NEVER get any bigger than what he is right now if you shoot him this year. but like dedgeez said, if it is what you want just as he is, then by all means take him out. If you want a little bit more of a chance next year or the year after at a really big deer, let him go.

Im ganna have to agree with degeez and Lyon here. I would love to have that deer on my farm, guessing he is a gagger in the making. It can be very hard to pass up bucks like this, Ive been the victom of the moment and shot bucks that I really new had a great futer. Ive always regretted it after. I now look at them for what they are and keep in the back of mind that its an awesome set of sheds Ill be able to look for if I let him walk. If you question it at all Id say pass him, but if he is what you really want to shoot this year, hopefully he doesnt give you the chance;) And like Degeez said, just because theres alot of pressure doesnt mean this buck wont make it. Im sure he knows the game, You gotta give them more credit.

Good luck!

Lots of points and character, but if the deer only had 8 or 10 points would it be even close to a shooter? Not for me as he really doesn't look to be wide, heavy, or have long main beams, yet. It is easy to say I would let him pass, but if he came by chasing does and grunting he may be hard to to lay off. He will be a stud in the near future if he makes it that long. He has survived at least 2-3 gun seasons, so odds are probably fair he makes another season.

Well I can see where you guys are coming from. How can you tell he is that young,brow tines? Body size? I was thinking he was older than that.

Problem it is a farmer buddy of mine and he let's a few others in to push during gun season. Well, we'll see what happens. I thought he was a bruiser already. Thx for input.

Don't even pay attention to antler size when trying to judge age. One of the most difficult things to do is age deer accurately, but this one IMO is one of the easiest I have seen. Take the antlers off his head and that deer would look like a doe. Sleek. skinny, and babyfaced. I would be letting him breed for awhile :D That deer is no more than 3 and could possibly be 2. What a beautiful buck.

Top Bottom