Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shooter?

hunthoyt

This is a buck I've spent the last 2 years watching and he's back for the third year. I believe him to be 4.5 this year and Im not sure if I should let him go one more year and see if he blows up or if given the opportunity this fall should I harvest him?
picture.php

Doubt I could pass either. Depends on what your standards are. He's a nice one either way!

1s and 2s looks like they're done growing but 3s and 4s and beams look like they've got a couple inches to go yet. He'd be a shooter in my book unless I had one a lot bigger running around. If you have to think about it, not worth it IMO.

Two ways to look at it:

1) He's a heck of a buck and I'd be happy to harvest him, if you feel the same way then why are you asking?

2) He's been around your property this long and has a knack for surviving. If you're on the fence this year it could stand to reason he would have a pretty good chance of getting through again this year as he has the last few.

Either way good luck with him!!

You cant shoot monsters if you shoot the big bucks------however that is much easier to say when it is July 28th and not November 4th and this buck is coming into range- good luck either way on your super easy decision :)

He looks like a deer where what you see is what you get.

Yes, he put on some inches this year, but to me he doesnt look like he has the making to be a super giant, maybe add another 10 inches next year. Heck, maybe lose 10 inches. Based off of one picture, he just doesn't have the look.

So if he meets your standards this year, I guess I don't know what good letting him go will do... But if you kill him, neither will you.

If he would be the highlight of your hunting endeavors thus far, I would take him. Without a doubt, there is risk in letting him walk but he looks to be one to roll the dice on. Good luck!

The one behind him is no slouch either. Good luck regardless. Getting trail cam pics and getting within bow range sadly are two different things. If he is showing up regularly in terms of on stand encounters I would then consider passing him.

Top Bottom