Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

shooting question

B

boatman

Guys and gals!

I have been fighting a "problem" for the last few months of practicing and am having a heck of a time shaking it. I am looking for maybe a simple practicing change to remedy it.

Here it is. For some dang reason, when I pull down on the target this year, I am having a heck of a time putting the pin over the target and releasing. I think this is a small form of target panic. If I put the pin above the "dot" or below it, and squeeze the release I am fine. I am shooting the best I ever have with this bow in 6 years and should not complain with the results. I can get 6 arrows to nearly touch at 30 yards with a Wisker B. rest, I just dont like the uncomfortable feeling I have at full draw trying to concentrate on holding the pin over the "dot"

Thanks all for any suggestions!!

Pat

Sounds like you might be focusing to much on your pin. Focus on your target, your pin should be a blur in your peripheral vision. How often do you shoot? It could be a issue of muscle entrainment. When Im out of shape I have a tendacy to hold low on my target. Once I get worked into shape it goes away. Just gotta condition your muscles.

Scott,

THX,, I try to shoot 4-5 times a week about 30 arrows per session. Back when I did some competitive shooting I would shoot 75 - 100 per day or more and never had this problem. This is what is throwing me for a loop. I dont know if its a lack of focus or if its a problem caused by shooting a recurve all summer at fish. ALOT of fish!

My bow is a 60lb Buckmaster with Archers Choice f.o. sights. Shooting a truefire release, with a rope nock. Just for the record.

THX again for any ideas.

Pat

I would shoot 10 arrows standing right at the target with your eyes closed before you shoot everytime. Maybe by shooting fish all summer its made you develop a bad habit. Close your eyes and just focus on squeezing the trigger and do all the little things you usually just do without thinking about it. I think we all needed to be reminded of the basics once in awhile. You might be trying to anticipate the shot, try to make it a suprise when that bow goes off.

Are you using a bow sight with horizontal pins or vertical pins?

While some members will certainly disagree, my accuracy with my bow has been a good deal better since switching to a vertical pin set up (Trophy Ridge Sight).

Sounds to me like you are experiencing a mental block while focusing on the target.

Try to remember to relax all of your muscles and concentrate on your shooting form and release.

By doing so you may divert your problems of focusing on the dot.
smile.gif

I have heard of lots of guys developing target panic from shooting at dots and paper targets. I they cured it by shooting 3-d targets, but for one guy i know, it took a long time and lots of shooting to get away from the feeling of shooting at dots. My advice, shoot 3-d targets, it just feels like the real thing. Just my 2 cents.

I had a very similar experience. When I was younger I shot bare bow. I got in a habbit of anchoring low. Then to compensate when I shot I would throw my arm. I decided to switch to shooting sights. Problem was fixed. Then a few years ago I had the same problem with sights. I would anchor low on the target and could not seem to raise my bow. The longer I held the shakier I became, but the pins never moved higher. I honestly can't tell you what helped me fix my problem. If I had to guess I would say that it was taking a break, shooting less arrows at a time, and mentally trying to settle in higher to begin with. I wish I could remember more, but the problem just went away. My problem was on dot targets and not 3-d's. Maybe that would help - shooting at animals. I really hate shooting dot targets and that could have been some of it. Although that is the style of target we have to shoot at and I don't have a problem anymore. Good luck.

Well all,

I apreciate all the advice... I figured it out yesterday evening. For some crazy reason this year I started shooting with my left eye closed
confused.gif
I dont know where this habit came from as I have always shot with both open, but subconciously was closing it while aiming. I spent some time focusing on BOTH eyes open. With one eye only I could not "look through" the pin at the target also. My one eye was wanting to focus on both the pin and the target which it couldnt not do.

May sound crazy but was shooting 3" groupings at 40 yards last night which is plenty good for my standards.

Thanks again!

Eye dominance can be very frustrating. I never noticed this as an issue until turkey season a few years back.....shot a tom (shotgun) at less than 25yds and missed......missed him by alot......closed the wrong eye.....been a southpaw ever since.

Scott I.C.,

I read your post regarding focusing more on your target, I disagree. I shoot my bow like I fire my handgun. Good handgunners focus completely on their front sight with the target out of focus in the distance. The same for shooting my bow. I focus completely on my bow sight and have to choose different point of impact on my target to avoid damaging arrows. I'm no expert but focusing on the target is a mistake, you might as well remove the sight and shoot instinctively.

I too agree with Scott IC, I never focus on the pin when I am shooting my bow. I focus on the target, Your pin is a subconscious guideline that automatically lines up with your target and where you want to hit at the time of release.It is more of a small blur over the spot you want to hit for me. I've seen too many guys say oh I missed or wounded that deer because I was focusing on my pin so much that it had moved forward a little bit and I didn't realize it when I let go. It's kind of like shooting ducks, or anything flying with a shotgun, I never look at the bead on the gun, my eye sight automatically focuses on the target bringing the gun barrel with it and lining it up, the same thing happens each and everytime I shoot a bow.
smile.gif

Shooting a bow is no different than sighting a handgun. Your subconscious will line you up with your target allowing one to have proper sight alignment by focusing on the sight. When training people to shoot a handgun we often turn the target around having them shoot at a blank piece of paper, which forces the person to look at the sight not the target. Groups collapse instantly. Try burning a hole through your chosen pin, focusing on the pin, to the target. You'll be surprised. Like I.C. I disagree respectfully.

Top Bottom