Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shot a few good ones

Kansasdeerslayer

PMA Member
I've been out bowfishing like crazy for the last 2 months and have killed hundreds of fish. I am not getting much prep work done for bow season, but when I'm having this much fun, WHO CARES?!!

Anyway, here's a few good ones from Saturday night I wanted to share with ya'll.

48" longnose, my best so far this summer...

08-25-07007.jpg

20 lb. buffalo...

08-25-07017.jpg

4 hours at Lake Perry...

08-25-07011.jpg

I eat the gar...damn good fish. As for the buffalo and carp, well I think the turtles in Perry lake are eatin good today. I have eatin buffalo, and its not bad, but there's too many bones to deal with. I friend of mine loves buffalo. He runs em through a meat grinder then pressure cooks em. Then patties them and pan fries em. You can't even tell there are bones in it after they soften up in the pressure cooker.

[ QUOTE ]
I eat the gar...damn good fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the heck do you prepare a gar for cooking? I tried once and couldn't get it skinned. Does it have bone structure similar to a snake, nuthin but long ribs? I'm always up for tryin something new to eat, especially if my wife thinks its disgusting.

The 'Bonker

I live close to the Mississippi and they score(sp ?) the buffalo and deep fry them. Carp is good if they don't taste muddy.

[ QUOTE ]
How the heck do you prepare a gar for cooking? I tried once and couldn't get it skinned. Does it have bone structure similar to a snake, nuthin but long ribs? I'm always up for tryin something new to eat, especially if my wife thinks its disgusting.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's real easy with the right tools. First you need a good pair of cutters. I've tried tin snips but they're too bulky. Then I found these heavy duty scissors at home depot in the tool section. They work perfect.

08-28-07003.jpg

All you do is make a cut straight down the center of the back. Then down the sides right behind the gills. Then straight down the belly. Take some catfish skinners and give a yank. Then just filet them out like a catfish. You will end up with one very long 3 or 4 inch wide boneless filet. I cut it into about 20 chicken strip sized pieces per back strap. Then add your favorite breading and pan fry. Very tasty boneless white meat. I will eat it over just about any other fish.

Its the best isnt it!! i love the spring when the timbers are flooding!! those gar explode when you hit em1!!!

My uncle skinned a gar once and he put the long fillet in the freezer stretched out straight on some aluminum foil to let it cool down. Later when he opened the freezer the fillet was coiled up like a snake! Muscle contractions? I don't know but he threw it in the garbage and never tried to eat one again.
grin.gif

We commercial fished Lake Perry a few years back on the very north end.We had over 250 buffalo that went over 50 lbs.We even had some that were bigger but tore through the nets.

[ QUOTE ]
We commercial fished Lake Perry a few years back on the very north end.We had over 250 buffalo that went over 50 lbs.We even had some that were bigger but tore through the nets.

[/ QUOTE ]

What did you do with them after you caught them?

Top Bottom