Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shot Buck, need help...

FormulaLT1Power

:(

So tonight, I was sitting in the stand, and had a wide 4x4 buck come to 22 yards. I took a shot with a Hoyt Katera (70lbs draw), Gold Tip Arrows and Muzzy MX4 100 grain broadheads. Shot was taken at around 5:00pm, and he was quartering towards me...below is my arrow, and also the hunting area.

I found the arrow, it was right where I shot the deer, complete pass through, some bright pink blood around the wrap, hair, also some tissue/meat, and some green/brown slime. The arrow smells horrible, and blood dried quickly off it. There was no blood trail for 20 yards, no signs of me hitting him (other than me finding my arrow). We looked around for 20 yards or so, which lasted the last 30 minutes of light...and found nothing. After pushing my Dad's deer last year (and never finding him after that) I decided to back out, and wait until tomorrow.

1. What/where do you think I hit? (see description and arrow pic).
2. Where do you think he might have ran? I was sitting in the northern stand...and he ran south. The only thing I know he didn't do is run to the east. Due to being in the pine trees, I could only see him for about 30 yards...
3. Do you think I will find him??

2012-11-18_18-23-23_615.jpg

spot.jpg

Last edited:
I'd wait till at least mid-day!! You got gut!! Probably not going to find much for blood trail! Check around water sources no matter how small they may seem to you!! Buddy found a 184" net buck shot in the guts in the bottom of a small ravine with just a trickle of water in it!!! Good Luck!! Don't give up too soon!!!

Last edited:
I'd wait till at least mid-day!! You got gut!! Probably not going to find much for blood trail!

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. We backed out, and going to wait to tomorrow afternoon to try to find him.

Just hope he went to lay somewhere and died?

Sorry, this is new for me and trying to do it the correct way.

I'd wait till at least mid-day!! You got gut!! Probably not going to find much for blood trail!

I agree. Sounds like the shot was a little back. He'll die though. You did the right thing backing out. Try to pick up the trail if you can tomorrow, and then start grid searching if you need to. You'll find him.

Good luck on your search and the upcoming sleepless night!

Good move backing out. Sounds like you got gut. Carry your bow when you go to look for him. It often takes a long time for a gut-shot deer to die. He's going to either go to the thickest cover you have or more likely to water. Unless there's water in the cover somewhere, I'd say it's a very good bet he'll double back to the north to the pond.

Gut shot, wait at least a day & look around water. Hope ya find him.

The water, is to the NE of that stand. Big pond...unsure if there are any creeks/streams running through there but I'll check.

I agree. Sounds like the shot was a little back. He'll die though. You did the right thing backing out. Try to pick up the trail if you can tomorrow, and then start grid searching if you need to. You'll find him.

Good luck on your search and the upcoming sleepless night!

Yea my father-in-law thinks I was a back as well. Should there be a trail you think? Or am I just aimlessly walking around looking for a needle in a haystack?

Good move backing out. Sounds like you got gut. Carry your bow when you go to look for him. It often takes a long time for a gut-shot deer to die. He's going to either go to the thickest cover you have or more likely to water. Unless there's water in the cover somewhere, I'd say it's a very good bet he'll double back to the north to the pond.

The pond was the #1 spot where I thought he'd go. Was just unsure if he'd try to walk back the way he got shot to get there.

Thanks to everyone for all the help thus far.

Last edited:
Don't disreguard any small ravine or cut in the timber! 2 of the biggest bucks I have ever trailed were laid up in a ravine you could have jumped across!! They thought they were hid!!
He's hurt/sick and knows he is!! He's gonna want to hide!!

Last edited:
Don't disreguard any small ravine or cut in the timber! 2 of the biggest bucks I have ever trailed were laid up in a ravine you could have jumped across!! They thought they were hid!!

Thanks, I've got tomorrow afternoon off to go look. He's not a giant by any means, but I want to get ahold of him.

Scenario is going through my head a million times, can't figure out what I did wrong (if anything) besides the shot.

BEST CASE is I clipped a lung (thus the pinkish blood), and also some guts (thus the smell). I dunno...I'm hoping I find him tomorrow...

Gut shot, give him 12 hrs and he will be dead. If you didnt push him he will be dead in his bed. You probably wont find much for blood but take you binos walk slow, look and glass. If you dont push them you will find them, bump them and say goodbye.

I agree with previous posts, just add that you might want to take it slow and listen for crows. They might help you locate your deer.

Gut shot, give him 12 hrs and he will be dead. If you didnt push him he will be dead in his bed. You probably wont find much for blood but take you binos walk slow, look and glass. If you dont push them you will find them, bump them and say goodbye.

After not seeing him, or hearing him crash...I waited a good 10 minutes before even climbing down. Only looked for 20 yards or so which lasted 20-30 minutes. I don't think we bumped him...bad thing is, I'm not sure where the hell his bed is!

We backed out just to be safe, and NOT bump him. We bumped a buck last year TWICE, and never found him after that.

I agree with previous posts, just add that you might want to take it slow and listen for crows. They might help you locate your deer.

Thanks. I've heard of the crow idea, and will be on the look out for them tomorrow (and after that).

Crockett said:
I'd wait till at least mid-day!! You got gut!

I agree give that deer at least 18 hers before you go looking for him again. Look around any water, and super thick cover and ravines. Good luck, stick with it you'll find him.

Looking at ur property it'd be best to search the whole thing with a group of buddies. Gut shots can go along ways or if he feels safe he'll lay down and be dead by tomorrow. I'd bet u got some liver or another vital and he will be dead. Good luck.

bigddy09 said:
Looking at ur property it'd be best to search the whole thing with a group of buddies. Gut shots can go along ways or if he feels safe he'll lay down and be dead by tomorrow. I'd bet u got some liver or another vital and he will be dead. Good luck.

You'll find him....you got more that guts!

Give him time, you prob got one lung. I'd start searching where arrow was and look way you seen him go. I shot one fri am and waited an hour even through i was sure it was good, double lung pass through, arrow went with him for 20 yards, no blood for 30, dead at 60.

Sage advice there. If you didnt bump him there is an excellent chance, with persistence, you will wrap your hands around those antlers within 200 yards of the shot. :way:

When you are tired of looking and have exhausted all options...look again.

Quartering to you, mostly guts id say. U may even be able to smell him from the gut shot. Use your nose as well searching for a sewage like smell

Top Bottom