Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shot help

DeerHunter3

Last night i shot a doe...it was a clean pass thru...possibly a little high. found the arrow and it had white hair and thick blood on it...i looked for an hour and couldnt come across any blood. what do you guys think of this?

Were you in a stand up high or on the ground with the deer?

I ask because it seems odd that you thought you hit high and yet you had white hair on the arrow. (To me white hair signals a low shot.)

Perhaps the arrow hit high, from an elevated position, and then exited low, giving you both symptoms you mentioned. If that is so and there is not a blood trail then one scenario that I have seen is a plugged exit hole, with intestines, etc, and the entrance hole is high enough that not much blood is being expelled from it, hence, a light or non-existant blood trail. Assuming all of that then...it sounds like a possible gut shot...see separate thread that talks all about gut shot deer.

Best bet on gut shot deer...wait 10-12 hours before tracking and if they haven't been bumped they will likely bed and die within 150-250 yards of the shot. I have trailed gut shot deers after only 4 or 5 hours and then been very disappointed with myself after bumping them and then you have a real crapshoot on your hands finding them.

Perhaps you can share more about the circumstances of the shot that will help guide the advice...good luck finding it anyway.

Did your arrow smell bad? I've seen some thick blood from liver-shot deer before. I'm with Daver also, white hair most likely means low and a possibility of a plugged exit hole.

Top Bottom