Shot My First Bird Ever This Morning

KCCyclone

This morning I had a buddy take me out to some property he turkey hunts, hoping for me to get my first bird. By 7 this morning, I had filled my tag! We easily heard over 100 gobbles from the roost, but it was pretty quite once they hit the ground. After about 30 minutes of only hearing a few gobbles, two toms popped up over the ridge and headed straight for the decoys. We decided then that we would try for a double with these two. Unfortunately, they would not separate while they were within shooting range. The two started to head off to the right when we decided we needed to shoot. We both choose a bird, both dropped, unfortunately the second bird was slightly behind the first and didn't get a fatal shot. He flew off back into the timber. Right after we shot, 15 more birds flew over us. They were probably 50 yards to our right, just on the other side of a small ridge. We just missed out on a double, but I'm definitely happy with my first.

Beard: 11 inches
Hooks: 1.5 inches (with one broken off at just over an inch)

DSC001.jpg

DSC006.jpg

DSC008.jpg

excellent first turkey!!!
congrats!!!!!!!!!!!
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

great bird bad log in name. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif i suppose you're a chiefs fan beings you like that cyclone red? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

yeah, trade in that red for some hawkeye prison orange, that all the football teams are wearing these days

nice bird!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: muddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">great bird bad log in name. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif i suppose you're a chiefs fan beings you like that cyclone red? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif </div></div>

After the draft we had last weekend, I'm a little bit stronger Chiefs fan....after losing Jared Allen, Chief's fan's nearly tore down Arrowhead!

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I had never really had the desire to turkey hunt before, but after killing this bird, I'm definitely hooked! Definitely looking forward to filling my second tag!

Back