Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

shot placement

-iabowhunter-

My dad shot a nice buck in front of the shoulder/neck area with a three blade Rage. The deer took of bashing through the woods like they do when injured. Anyone ever hit a deer in that area? Were letting him sit tonight so hopefully can get a blood trail in the morning. Pics if we find him.

Any idea how much penetration? Did the arrow break off? Was he shooting from and elevated position? How much elevated relative to the deer? It certainly can kill a deer just very situational depending on what you hit. Good luck!

I know a guy who did that just this past week. The only thing he hit was he nicked the windpipe. After a half mile he found him dead. Tough going but he got him. Good luck!

We found the arrow and there was about seven inches broke off. We had no blood due to the leaves blowing so much overnight. Searched for about an hour. Found a spot where it looks like he fell down and there was blood on some trees. After that no good trail. I really think he's dead so going out this afternoon to scower the whole area. My dads sick hasent killed a buck since 2010...

I know of one that was hit in that area. Had lots of blood for a good distance, but not sure exactly how far as this was told to me. Was told there was a heavy spray every time the buck's front feet landed. Then the blood dried up. No arrow found. No buck found. They searched the area pretty good, and I even looked for remains while out shed hunting the next spring. Really sucks when you can't find them, and you know they have to be dead somewhere.

Hope you find him! Was this quartering to or was it broadside?

What was the sound when the arrow hit the deer? Was it a hard crack or did it not make to much of a sound. If it was a hard crack I'm sure that it hit the shoulder blade. I had that happen to me and there was alot of blood right way but it ended up drying up. Never did find her.

picture.php
Yeah, I did that last year. The buck left one hell of a blood trail forever it seemed. Every little hill we went over in the timber, my buddies kept saying that we were going to find him. Kept going and going. He was starting to make a huge circle back, I think this because he was with a doe when I shot him. Anyway, came back next morning, and he was within 40 yards of where we left off, out in the cornfield. When we field dressed him, he hardly had any blood left in him. My crimson talon broad head went through only one lung, but did the job. So good luck! Hope to see some recovery pics. hopefully by this pic, you can see where my arrow went in, and he was quartering to me.

Last edited:
Well, searched all over, high and low for dads buck. When he shot him he heard a loud thump..he was broadside and took of like crazy. We literally found five drops of blood on a tree 150 yards away. The arrow went in about seven inches and broke off. We searched every creek bed in the area and bedding areas. I think he hit him mid chest towards the neck and got muscle. We've never seen the deer but hoping to see him or get trail can pics of him. Thanks everyone, good luck!

Top Bottom