Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shot question

ShedderKG

Buddy hit a deer this morning and said he thought he was behind the shoulder but high. 32 yards and was sitting at 20+ feet. Had small amounts of dark blood for 200 yards and found his bed with a little blood in it and then ran out of blood. If he shot just above the spine area, would he bleed that much or no? Arrow went in about half way. Never found the arrow. Thoughts?

I would imagine it could bleed that much from a muscle hit. But without knowing for sure that's where it hit, I'd keep looking. Good luck!

It's a gut shot. The reason for no blood in the bed is because the exit wound was low and plug or the arrow didn't exit. It impossible to hit a deer above the spine and not pass through if it was behind the shoulder.

A deer could bleed that much with a muscle shot. Just search as much as you can in case it's a fatal shot

My guess is no exit wound, there for lack of blood, it is to bad that he was bumped from his bed, search grid pattern tomorrow, my guess is that he is dead some where, keep us updated

really, no comment!

Spotty blood with very little in the bed is a plugged up gut shot deer. Also saying half the arrow of penetration but no busted arrow is too far back. Dark blood is the guts creating that brownish dark tint.

It's highly unlikely he got up from that bed if it was anything but guts. A non mortally wounded whitetail would not bed up that quick from a shot.

really, no comment!

Elaborate sir.

You tell me what hit bleeds very little and had dark blood.......

A muscle hit deer wound bleed considerably more than a gut shot deer. They start heavy and peter out. The OP said small amount of blood the whole way. The only wound to do that is behind the diaphragm and high.

Impossible to say. "Thought" he hit high so could be liver, guts, above spine etc. But, if he laid up its likely not above spine. Id give him 24 hours then grid search. Blood color is so subjective it is almost a non issue sometimes. Bedding quick though tells me more. Good luck.

Elaborate sir.

You tell me what hit bleeds very little and had dark blood.......

A muscle hit deer wound bleed considerably more than a gut shot deer. They start heavy and peter out. The OP said small amount of blood the whole way. The only wound to do that is behind the diaphragm and high.

Could be low hit liver. watch midwest whitetail webisode from yesterday

Thanks for the input guys...there was small amounts most the way. THere was one spot he said there was a considerable amount of blood but wasn't in a bed. Must have just stopped and stood there for a bit.

It is hard to say for sure but I don't think it's above spine because he wouldn't have bedded after 200 yards.

My dad hit his buck in the liver this year...straight pass thru...literally specs of dark red blood for just a little ways and then nothing. He was not gut shot.

According to where he thinks he hit him, I think he is dead somewhere but don't think he is gut shot. Hard to say

Top Bottom