Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Shotgun seasons

flugge

So Today was my first day back to work in quite awhile, and after first shotgun. Well one of my coworkers asked me this morning how we did. I told him I shot 3, and our group filled but nothing little, and that we didnt shoot does, but instead small bucks. So here is where it gets just STUPID. He said, yeah, since we didnt fill first season, we are hunting second season. I immediatlely was like, what?! He said, yeah, remember when the DNR said the people that didnt fill first season (ice storm a few years back) that they could hunt second season, well it was nasty on Saturday, so we are using them second season. I about blew a nut! But I politely told him, no that was no such case. But maybe I am in the wrong, but I sure didnt think first season was that bad. Now is that complete ignorance, stupidity, both?? Not really trying to stir anything, but wow, I just cant believe people.

The fact that they are using first season tags to hunt second season...because a few years back the dnr allowed it because of the ice storm we had back then. They did not switch it to have that happen every year...it was only that one year, and they apparently think they can hunt second every year now if they dont fill their first season tags

This is a classic case of a little information can become a stupid thing. As I remember that situation that year, and that year only, the DNR did not allow 1st gun season license holders to hunt 2nd season. What they did do was add 3 days onto the end of the 2nd season where those 1 season tags could be used. This kind of thing always makes me wonder how many probably well intentioned people are doing illegal things because of misinformation.

I just thought of another thing. What happens when they call in a harvest report with a 1st season tag and a 2nd season date? Will the reporting system flag that and require a visit from a local CO? Sounds like instant tickets to me!

Like bowmaker said they just extended for three days after 2nd season. And they could only shoot antlerless I believe.

Yeah, that is a good point bowmaker. And yes, I remember they just added the three days...I didnt have to worry about it as I shot my deer in the ice storm, so thanks for clearing that part up. And for anyone curious, yes the dnr did get a phone call from both me, and my coworker who was doing it. And the DNR set up a meeting with them... But I just couldnt believe it I guess

I would have told him....."yep, but ya gotta call the Conservation Officer to get your extension.".....and then dialed the number for him.

Top Bottom