Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

shotgun slug question

how far will a slug travel out of a fully rifled slug barrel.reason for this question is this..i was sitting on the ground instead of up in ladder stand for one day of first season.i give a call out on the buck roar out in the distance i see what looks like a buck.look through my binos to check and it was a buck.he was out i bet about 200 to 300 yards im using lightfield slugs if a deer is out that far will a slug knock him down there was alot of brush in between me and him.he came in at a good clip then stopped and went about his way but wouldnt come in closer..would my 870 express magnum be able to reach out that far? or would a muzzleloader be better? should i of hit the buck roar again? i was into postion to take the shot after i confirmed it was a buck

Well, first off I personally would not have taken the shot. If you think you hit him then did you find any blood where he was. A Muzzleloader would have been a better bet. Although I have seen a guy drop a doe at 200+ yards with a shotgun, it looked like he was aiming for the stars though haha

i didnt take a shot.i wanted too but something told me not too all i did was put my sights on him after i did that i didnt feel comfortable taking it.

Those slugs might have the energy but at that range, your chances of a miss or crippling shot are very high. You need to pass. Zeroed in at 100 yards, it will drop almost 10" at 150 yards, which means it will drop maybe 36" at 200 yards or 70" at 300 yards (just guessing but it drops alot and is probably much more than my guesses). Few people practice at that range and you say 200-300 so on top of the drop, you don't even know how high to hold because you are unsure of the distance. Plus, there was a lot of "brush" between you and it?
Info on the rate of drop.

im glad i did pass on it..didnt want to have a crippled deer out in the wild.im sure theres probabily plenty of them..i think right know my guns only sighted in at 50 yards. i think i may go sight it in at 100 and see what the results are..50 yards it shot great.shot at a paper plate and didnt.i did take 2 shots at 100 and they was just right and left of the bullseye then i went back to 50

Alan, only take shots your comfortable with and proficient at. 200 yards is a long shot with any weapon that hasn't been practiced with at that range. Sounds like a range finder should be your first investment. 200 yards and 300 yards is a night and day difference. You owe it to the game your hunting to be competent at yardage judgment, and your marksmanship with gun or bow. Just because the box says the gun or ammo can shoot 200 yards does not mean you can without proper practice.

Top Bottom